Sauk Valley Community College
an institution of higher education that provides quality learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of its students and community
Recommendations for Individuals Seeking Diagnostic Assessment for Learning Disabilities and/or Attention Deficit Disorder
For Assistance in Finding a Qualified Professional:
- Contact the Student Needs Coordinator/Disability Service Coordinator at the institution you attend or are planning to attend to discuss documentation needs.
- Discuss your future plans with the Student Needs Coordinator/Disability Service Coordinator. If additional documentation is required, seek assistance in identifying a qualified professional.
In Selecting a Qualified Professional:
- Ask about his or her credentials.
- Ask what experience he or she has had in working with adults with learning disabilities and/or attention deficit, depending upon which assessment you are seeking.
- Ask if he or she has ever worked with the service provider at your institution or with the agency to which you are sending the material.
In Working with the Professional:
- Take a copy of these guidelines to the professional.
- Encourage him or her to clarify questions with the person who provided you with these guidelines.
- Be prepared to be thorough and honest with requested information.
- Know that the professionals must maintain confidentiality with respect to your records and testing information.
As Follow-up to the Assessment by the Professional:
- Requests a written copy of the assessment report.
- Request the opportunity to discuss the results and recommendations.
- Request additional resources if you need them.
- Maintain a personal file of your records and reports.