2014-15 Catalog (Archived Catalog)
Art Associate in Fine Arts (150)
Illinois colleges and universities offer two different bachelor's degrees in Art: the professional Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A) degree and the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree with a major in Art. In general, because the B.F.A. degree prepares students for graduate school, it requires 70 or more semester credits in Art, while the B.A. degree (major in Art) requires about 40 to 50 semester credits in Art. At some schools, a B.A. degree requires competency in a foreign language, while the B.F.A. degree does not.
The A.F.A. degree in Art is designed to prepare students to transfer as juniors to a bachelor's degree ART program. Completion of the A.F.A. does NOT fulfill the requirements of the Illinois General Education Core Curriculum nor does it fulfill the requirements of the A.A./A.S. degree. Therefore, students will need to fulfill the general education requirements of the institution to which they plan to transfer.
To transfer as a junior into either a B.F.A. program or B.A. program with a major in Art, students should select one of the options following consultation with the Art department. Most schools require a portfolio review for admission to a B.F.A. program, for registration in a second studio course in a medium and/or for scholarship consideration.
Students who have already chosen the university to which they plan to transfer should consult that institution's catalog or department advisor and an SVCC counselor or academic advisor in planning their program. This program includes the basic courses university art departments require their freshmen and sophomores to take as well as foundation courses in various areas of specialization.
Program Contacts at Sauk Valley Community College
Counseling Office, 815/835-6354.
First Semester - Sem/Hrs: 16
- Mathematics 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 101 - 2-D Design Foundations 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 113 - Basic Drawing I 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 120 - Prehistoric Through Medieval Art 3 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 101 - Composition I 3 Semester hour(s)
- FYE 101 - First Year Experience 1 Semester hour(s)
Second Semester - Sem/Hrs: 18
- **ART Elective 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 102 - 3-D Design Foundations 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 114 - Basic Drawing II 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 121 - Renaissance Through Romantic Art 3 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 103 - Composition II 3 Semester hour(s)
- SPE 131 - Introduction to Oral Communication 3 Semester hour(s)
Third Semester - Sem/Hrs: 15-16
- *Life Science 3-4 Semester hour(s)
- Social/Behavioral Science 6 Semester hour(s)
- Humanities 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 122 - Modern Art 3 Semester hour(s)
Fourth Semester - Sem/Hrs: 15-16
- *Physical Science 3-4 Semester hour(s)
- **ART Elective 6 Semester hour(s)
- Humanities 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 213 - Life Drawing I 3 Semester hour(s)
Total Credits: 65
*One lab science required.
**Select studio art elective courses from at least two media in consultation with an counselor or academic advisor or art department faculty from the following list: ART 203, 214, 225, 230, 250, 251. Students are strongly encouraged to consult an SVCC counselor or academic advisor and their transfer institution for any additional major field requirements.