2014-15 Catalog (Archived Catalog)
Associate in Science (825)
In the profession of nursing, there are many levels of practice and an array of career options. Registered nurses (R.N.s) work in a variety of health care settings as well as in industry and schools. Nurses may provide direct patient care in hospitals, nursing homes, or the patient's home. The skills required of registered nurses include critical thinking, communication, and technical clinical skills.
Registered nurses with Bachelor of Science degrees may have greater opportunities to work in community settings such as Public Health Departments or schools or in other leadership positions. Advanced training in the form of master's and doctoral level degrees are available in nursing, further increasing the registered nurse's employment and leadership opportunities.
Students who have already chosen the four-year institution to which they plan to transfer should consult that institution's catalog or department advisor and an SVCC counselor or academic advisor in their program. (Refer to the ADN program.) Individualized articulation sheets for some universities are available in the counseling office.
Program Contacts at Sauk Valley Community College
Counseling Office, 815/835-6354;
Janet Lynch, Dean of Health Professions, 815/835-6376.
First Semester - Sem/Hrs: 14
- Humanities 3 Semester hour(s)
- CHE 103 - Introduction to Chemistry 4 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 101 - Composition I 3 Semester hour(s)
- FYE 101 - First Year Experience 1 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 103 - Introduction to Psychology 3 Semester hour(s)
Second Semester - Sem/Hrs: 17
- BIO 105 - Principles of Biology 5 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 103 - Composition II 3 Semester hour(s)
- MAT 240 - Elementary Statistics 3 Semester hour(s)
- PED 115 - Nutrition and Diet Therapy 3 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 200 - Human Growth and Development 3 Semester hour(s)
Third Semester - Sem/Hrs: 16
- Fine Arts 3 Semester hour(s)
- Electives 3 Semester hour(s)
- BIO 109 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I 4 Semester hour(s)
- SOC 111 - Introduction to Sociology 3 Semester hour(s)
- SPE 131 - Introduction to Oral Communication 3 Semester hour(s)
Fourth Semester - Sem/Hrs: 17
- Humanities/Fine Arts 3 Semester hour(s)
- Electives 6 Semester hour(s)
- BIO 110 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II 4 Semester hour(s)
- BIO 111 - Introductory Microbiology 4 Semester hour(s)
Total Credits: 64