2016-17 Catalog (Archived Catalog)
Associate in Engineering Science (320)
Engineering programs are highly structured to meet the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (A.B.E.T.) standards required for registration as a professional engineer. Before transferring, you are strongly encouraged to complete an Associate in Engineering Science (A.E.S.) degree. To transfer as a junior, you must have 60 to 68 semester credits, including all of the prerequisite courses listed. You are unlikely to earn the bachelor's degree within 2 more years after transfer if you enter with less than 68 semester credits.
You should decide on an Engineering specialty and your preferred transfer school by the beginning of your sophomore year since course requirements vary by specialty and by school. Be sure to select your courses in consultation with an Engineering faculty.
A grade of "C" or better may be required for physics, chemistry, mathematics, and engineering science courses to transfer. A similar policy may exist for general education courses. The student is advised to check directly with his/her preferred transfer school.
Students who have already chosen the university to which they plan to transfer should consult that institution's catalog or department advisor and an SVCC academic advisor in planning their program.
Program Contacts at Sauk Valley Community College
Academic Advising, 815/835-6354.
Engineering - IAI Recommended Baccalaureate Curriculum
First Semester - Sem/Hrs: 16
- **Social & Behavioral Sciences 3 Semester hour(s)
- CHE 105 - General Chemistry I 5 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 101 - Composition I 3 Semester hour(s)
- FYE 101 - First Year Experience 1 Semester hour(s)
- MAT 203 - Calculus and Analytic Geometry I 4 Semester hour(s)
Second Semester - Sem/Hrs: 18
- Approved Computer Programming Language 3 Semester hour(s)
- *Engineering Specialty Course 3 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 103 - Composition II 3 Semester hour(s)
- MAT 204 - Calculus and Analytic Geometry II 4 Semester hour(s)
- PHY 211 - Engineering Physics I 5 Semester hour(s)
Third Semester - Sem/Hrs: 14-15
- **Social & Behavioral Sciences 0-3 Semester hour(s)
- *Engineering Specialty Courses 3-7 Semester hour(s)
- MAT 211 - Differential Equations 3 Semester hour(s)
- PHY 212 - Engineering Physics II 5 Semester hour(s)
Fourth Semester - Sem/Hrs: 18
- *Engineering Specialty Courses 6 Semester hour(s)
- **Humanities/Fine Arts 3 Semester hour(s)
- MAT 205 - Calculus and Analytic Geometry III 4 Semester hour(s)
- PHY 213 - Engineering Physics III 5 Semester hour(s)
Total Credits: 66-67
*Engineering specialty courses-See chart on the following page for specific course listings.
**If only three hours are completed in Humanities/Fine Arts, then six hours are required in Social/Behavioral Sciences and vice versa. Certain specialty areas in engineering require only three hours (1 course) from both Humanities/Fine Arts and Social/Behavioral Sciences. In turn, more credit hours are required in engineering specialty courses. Refer to AES degree chart in the SVCC catalog for specific course recommendations by specialty area. Also, see an counselor or academic advisor to complete required paperwork (substitution form) to document this combination of courses. A non-Western or minority course is recommended. If two courses are selected in a field, a two-semester sequence in the same discipline is recommended.
Suggested Specialty Programs Chart