2016-17 Catalog (Archived Catalog)
Associate in Arts (625)
In the profession of nursing, there are many levels of practice and an array of career options. Registered nurses (R.N.s) work in a variety of health care settings providing direct patient care and promoting optimal health/wellness practices in community settings such as industry and schools. The skiills required of registered nurses include critical thinking, communication abilities that foster partnership with other health care professionals and competent individual performance.
Registered nurses with Bachelor of Science degrees may have greater opportunities to work in community settings such as Public Health Departments or schools or in other leadership positions. Progression towards a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing (BSN) is the current national standard after ADN completion. Advanced training in the form of master's and doctoral level degrees are available in nursing, further increasing the registered nurse's employment and leadership opportunities.
Students are encouraged to have already chosen the four-year institution to which they plan to transfer for BSN completion. The four-year institution's catalog or department advisor and an SVCC academic advisor should be consulted for effective planning. (Refer to the ADN program). Individualized articulation sheets for multiple universities are available in the Student Services Center.
Program Contacts at Sauk Valley Community College
Academic Advising, 815/835-6354;
Janet Lynch, Dean of Health Professions, 815/835-6376.
First Semester - Sem/Hrs: 14
- Humanities 3 Semester hour(s)
- CHE 103 - Introduction to Chemistry 4 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 101 - Composition I 3 Semester hour(s)
- FYE 101 - First Year Experience 1 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 103 - Introduction to Psychology 3 Semester hour(s)
Second Semester - Sem/Hrs: 17
- BIO 105 - Principles of Biology 5 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 103 - Composition II 3 Semester hour(s)
- MAT 240 - Elementary Statistics 3 Semester hour(s)
- PED 115 - Nutrition and Diet Therapy 3 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 200 - Human Growth and Development 3 Semester hour(s)
Third Semester - Sem/Hrs: 16
- Fine Arts 3 Semester hour(s)
- Electives 3 Semester hour(s)
- BIO 109 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I 4 Semester hour(s)
- SOC 111 - Introduction to Sociology 3 Semester hour(s)
- SPE 131 - Introduction to Oral Communication 3 Semester hour(s)
Fourth Semester - Sem/Hrs: 17
- Humanities/Fine Arts 3 Semester hour(s)
- Electives 6 Semester hour(s)
- BIO 110 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II 4 Semester hour(s)
- BIO 111 - Introductory Microbiology 4 Semester hour(s)
Total Credits: 64