2016-17 Catalog (Archived Catalog)
Associate in Arts (685)
To teach in Illinois public schools (grades 9-12), teachers must be licensed by the state of Illinois. Community college students are strongly encouraged to complete an Associate in Arts (A.A.) or Associate in Science (A.S.) degree prior to transfer. Since admission is competitive, completion of the recommended course does not guarantee admission. A minimum grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale), dependent on the transfer school requirements, and the passage of the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or equivalent ACT plus Writing score are required for program admission.
Students planning to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree or a degree from a college of arts and science should be alerted to the probable need to complete a foreign language requirement before transfer.
Information regarding Illinois standards for Professional Educator License is available on the Illinois State Board of Education Website at www.isbe.net
Students who have already chosen the university to which they plan to transfer should consult that institution's catalog or department advisor and an SVCC academic advisor in planning their program.
Criminal History Check Policy
Illinois law requires Illinois school boards to conduct a criminal background investigation on applicants for employment. This law also prohibits the employment of a person who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit any one or more of a number of offenses. At present, offenses include first degree murder; any Class X felony; juvenile pimping; soliciting for a juvenile prostitute; exploitation of a child; obscenity; child pornography; harmful material; criminal sexual assault; aggravated criminal sexual assault; offenses set forth in the Cannabis Control Act; and crimes defined in the Illinois Controlled Substance Act. Employment must be denied whether the offenses and/or conviction occurred inside or outside the state of Illinois.
All students entering the initial observation course must first submit to a criminal background check (CBC). You will be notified by the College of the fees, date, time and location of the finger printing process. In addition, students listed on the Illinois Sex Offenders Registry, Illinois Violent Offender Against Youth Registry and the National Sex Offenders Registry will be denied entrance into these programs.
If any of the above returns with an incident "hit", you will be notified and need to meet with SVCC faculty/staff who will review your results and discuss how it might affect your ability to participate in these programs. An adverse decision may be appealed through the institutional academic appeal process.
Program Contacts at Sauk Valley Community College
Academic Advising, 815/835-6354;
Janis Jones, Assistant Professor of Education, 815/835-6410.
First Semester - Sem/Hrs: 17
- **Math 2 Semester hour(s)
- ***Major Rlectives 3 Semester hours(s)
- EDU 101 - Introduction to Education 3 Semester hour(s)
- EDU 105 - Preparing for Careers in Education 1 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 101 - Composition I 3 Semester hour(s)
- FYE 101 - First Year Experience 1 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 103 - Introduction to Psychology 3 Semester hour(s)
Second Semester - Sem/Hrs: 16
- Fine Arts 3 Semester hour(s)
- Personal Development 1 Semester hour
- EDU 102 - Computer Education for Teachers 3 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 103 - Composition II 3 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 200 - Human Growth and Development 3 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 214 - Child Developmental Psychology 3 Semester hour(s)
- SPE 131 - Introduction to Oral Communication 3 Semester hour(s)
Third Semester - Sem/Hrs: 16-17
- Fine Arts/Humanities 3 Semester hour(s)
- ****Humanities 3 Semester hour(s)
- Personal Development 1 Semester hour
- *Physical Science 3-4 Semester hour(s)
- EDU 220 - Students with Disabilities in School 3 Semester hour(s)
- HIS 221 - American History to 1865 3 Semester hour(s)
- HIS 222 - American History Since 1865 3 Semester hour(s)
Fourth Semester - Sem/Hrs: 14-15
- *Life Science 3-4 Semester hour(s)
- ****Social & Behanioral Science 3 Semester hour(s)
- ***Major Electives 4 Semester hour(s)
- EDU 275 - Educational Psychology 3 Semester hour(s)
- EDU 277 - Clinical Experience in Secondary Education 1 Semester hour(s)
Total Credits: 64
- *One lab science required.
- **Teaching major will determine the most appropriate mathematics course(s).
- ***Student's major (intended area of teaching) will guide the selection of major elective course work.