2016-17 Catalog (Archived Catalog)
The purpose of the Digital Media Arts curriculum is two-fold. First, those who earn the certificate have the minimum requirements needed to secure employment as graphic designers in firms that engage in specialized design services, advertising services, printing services, and publishing. Second, those who earn the certificate may also pursue further education in a number of fields and apply those skills and expertise to in-house advertising and graphic design needs for their employers, particularly those who operate as small businesses. The Digital Media Arts certificate expands upon the Graphic Design Certificate Specialists skill set into film, video and interactive media.
Work and Employment
The SVCC Digital Media Arts program is designed to prepare individuals to assume employment in the fields of graphic design and desktop publishing; it will also strengthen the marketability of students who complete other fields of study because it will enhance visual communication skills for use in advertising and marketing functions.
To obtain employment in this area, most individuals will be required to possess good computer skills, which include typing skills.
Program Contacts at Sauk Valley Community College
Academic Advising, 815/835-6354;
Office of Recruitment, 815/835-6266.
Major Field Requirements
- ART 103 - Digital Photography 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 107 - Digital Drawing 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 113 - Basic Drawing I 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 100 - Media Arts 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 230 - Graphic Design I 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 231 - Graphic Design II 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 237 - Image and Sound Recording 3 Semester hour(s)
Students must complete 3 courses from the following list of courses for 9 credits:
- ART 105 - Motion Graphics 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 236 - Film and Video 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 238 - Interactive Media Design 3 Semester hour(s)
- ART 299 - Topics/Issues in Graphic Design 1 to 4 Semester hour(s)
*Although students may take up to 9 hours of ART 299, only 3 hours can be counted toward certificate.
Total Hours Required for Certificate: 24