2017-18 Catalog (Archived Catalog)
Fire Science: Basic Operations Firefighter - Certificate (F30)
The Fire Science Basic Operations Firefighter Certificate is designed to prepare the student to be a functioning member of a fire company. General guidelines and operating procedures will ensure a consistent approach to emergency situations. Firefighting, prevention and suppression systems will be addressed. Graduates may specialize with additional competencies after securing this certificate.
Satisfy all of the following academic criteria:
- Fulfill MATH Proficiency requirement by verifying one of the following: (Note: Only one of the following must be met. The most recent score or grade will be utilized.)
- Two Semesters of High School Algebra with a "C" or better within the last five years of when the algebra course was taken.
- Satisfactory completion of MAT 074 or a higher level math course with a grade of "C" or better at SVCC.
- Grade of "C" or better in an equivalent course at another college/university.
- Placed into SVCC MAT 106 or higher.
- Fulfill READING Proficiency requirement by verifying one of the following: (Note: Only one of the following must be met. The most recent score or grade will be utilized.)
- Reading Assessment: placed out of a reading course.
- RDG 098 with a "C" or better. (ENG 105 with a "C" or better prior to Fall 2002.)
- Complete the College general admission procedure.
- Attend a Fire Science information meeting.
- Meet with a fire science coordinator and develop an academic plan.
- File a current fire science application form with the Dean of Health Professions.
- Submit two letters of recommendation to the Dean of Health Professions.
Sauk Valley Community College is required by law to give preference to in-district resident candidates. Out-of-district applicants will be considered if space is available.
Program Contacts at Sauk Valley Community College
Academic Advising, 815/835-6354;
Jeffrey Newbury, Assistant Professor of Fire Science, 815/835-6269.
Major Field Requirements
- FIR 100 - Introduction to Fire Science 1 Semester hour(s)
- FIR 101 - Basic Firefighter Operations-Module A 4 Semester hour(s)
- FIR 102 - Basic Firefighter Operations-Module B 4 Semester hour(s)
- FIR 103 - Basic Firefighter Operations-Module C 4 Semester hour(s)
Total Hours Required for Certificate: 12