CGH Medical Center
Contact DetailsErica Wyckstandt
Provides clinical support and distribution services in coordination with physician and nursing services in delivering quality and cost effective drug therapy to patients. Supervise and direct support personnel.
- Reviews orders/prescriptions for clarity and ambiguity, potential allergic reactions, drug interactions, incompatibilities, rational drug therapy, accuracy and appropriateness of dose and route of administration.
- Accurately and timely enters medication therapy orders into the computer systems.
- Responds appropriately to computer screenings recognizing limitations of computer systems.
- Able to identify and resolve medication related problems in cooperation with physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals.
- Provides concise, accurate, relevant and timely drug information to physicians, nurses other health care professionals, patients and families.
- Demonstrates ability to use appropriate reference sources to answer drug information inquiries.
- Able to refer questions to appropriate resource if unable to provide requested information. Initiates and documents clinical interventions.
- Follows up on incomplete interventions from the previous shift.
- Actively participates in medication error, adverse drug reaction reporting.
- Actively participates in drug usage evaluations, target drug programs, and other clinical programs on a daily basis.
- Maintains professional knowledge base, clinically and operationally.
- Accepts concept of pharmaceutical care and applies its principles in practice.
- Assists in training of new staff members and continued training of other staff members.
- Supervises the activities of support personnel to assure proper preparation of all medications and supplies for dispensing.
- Able to perform technician responsibilities, as required.
- Follows department, hospital and health system policies and procedures.
- Supports teamwork efforts of department within each facility and across facilities.
- Responsible as pharmacist in charge in absence of department management.
- Pharmacists may be assigned responsibilities in special function areas of the department, including (but not limited to) home infusion, critical care, manufacturing and ambulatory care.
- Pharmacists must provide drug therapy monitoring, drug information and patient/family education and other duties, according to the needs and requirements of the special area.
- Pharmacists are responsible for checking of medications dispensed from pharmacy, whether individual orders or floor stock.
- Maintains records according to requirements.
- Monitors controlled substances, stock levels of all drugs and supplies.
- Assures consistent and smooth operations.
- Maintains security of area, drugs and supplies.
- Upholds obligations to prevent, deter, and report suspected drug diversion, loss and shortages.
- Shows flexibility and adaptability to meet changing priorities and job requirements.
- Able to work effectively and efficiently under pressure and deadlines for both routine and non-routine activities.
- Able to handle frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workload and work schedule.
- Able to set priorities, make critical decisions, and respond quickly to emergency requests.
- Shows concern for provision of high quality, timely products and services.
- Assists in maintaining smooth operations of department.
SPECIALIZED KNOW-HOW & REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Current Illinois Registered Pharmacist Licensure required.
Thank you for your interest in a career at CGH Medical Center.