NRS 116 - Medical Terminology for Health Careers
NRS 116 is an internet-based medical terminology course designed for students pursuing health careers. Students will develop knowledge of the foundation of word parts, combining forms, anatomical terminology, and medical terms organized by body systems. The course includes the study of definition and use of medical terms common to many health related disciplines.
Method of Instruction: This is a self-paced on-line computer based course. Learning activities and modules are completed through the internet on WebCT. Students may move through the lessons at the speed that best facilitates their learning ability and schedule. Students must keep up with the suggested schedule to take the online tests before the given due date.
Textbook: Exploring Medical Language by Myrna LaFleur Brooks, 2005, 6th Edition.
The on-line access code must also be purchased for the internet portion of the course.
Purchase the bundle package—textbook and access code combined—for this course.
The Online Medical Terminology class modules include:
- Module 1 - Introduction to Word Parts
- Module 2 - Body Structure, Color, and Oncology
- Module 3 - Directional Terms, Planes, Regions, and Quadrants
- Module 4 - Integumentary System
- Module 5 - Respiratory System
- Module 6 - Urinary System
- Module 7 - Male Reproductive System
- Module 8 - Female Reproductive System
- Module 9 - Obstetrics and Neonatology
- Module 10 - Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
- Module 11 - Digestive System
- Module 12 - Eye
- Module 13 - Ear
- Module 14 - Musculoskeletal system
- Module 15 - Nervous system and Common Behavioral Health Terms
- Module 16- Endocrine System
Some of the course features that are accessed online include:
- Interactive review exercises in a variety of formats.
- Audio playback on several activities to increase pronunciation of terms.
- Explanations of answers.
- Wide variety of games to enhance learning.
- Practice tests to demonstrate knowledge.
- Case studies.
- Glossary with audio pronunciations.
- Multimedia animations.
Included with the textbook:
- CD with a variety of games and interactive learning exercises.
- 460 flashcards to help review terms.
No required class time for this three credit hour course. A half-hour orientation session to the course is offered but is not mandatory. All coursework will be completed through modules set up on WebCT on the internet. Pronunciation of medical terms required on a weekly basis.
Dianna Brevitt MAT, RT (R)(CT)
Office: 288-5511 ext 362