IS will regularly deploy updates to ensure that college computers are protected against security vulnerabilities and functioning efficiently. We recommend the following practices to optimize electricity usage, prevent unauthorized use, and ensure that you receive updates.
When you step away your desk:
- Lock your computer by pressing Windows + L.
- If you will be away from your desk for an extended time, it is best to log out of Banner. Desktop computers will go to sleep after 3 hours of inactivity, which will cause you to be logged out of Banner.
When you leave for the day:
- Make sure you've saved your work.
- Press the power button once to put your computer to sleep.
- In the morning, you can just press a button on your keyboard or click your mouse to wake the computer up to the same state as you left it.
When you leave for the week:
- Make sure you've saved your work and logged out of all programs.
- Your computer will be rebooted every weekend to install updates.
- If your computer is off over the weekend, updates will install during the day and may require you to restart your computer.
- You should always change your password from the initial password.
- It is strongly recommended that you change your Sauk Login password at least every 6 months by either:
- Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del on your Sauk Windows computer and clicking "Change Password."
- Using the online password change tool.
- It is best to include a a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters (but don't make it so hard you can't remember it).