Adjunct Faculty, Criminal Justice
Master's Criminal Just/Law Enforce Mgt, 2011 - St. Ambrose University
Sauk Valley Community College
- Best way to contact me
- SVCC E-Mail Account Urgent Issues 815 915 6967
- Specialty Areas
- With my 10 years of experience as a correctional officer I have many unique experiences and insights to share with students. Working as a correctional officer I have had the opportunity to serve as a crisis intervention team member and disciplinary hearing officer.
- Courses Taught
- Criminal Justice Ethics CJS 200 Juvenile Delinquency CJS 208 Correctional Counseling CJS 214
- I enjoy anything outdoors that involves getting dirty and sweating from biking, running, fishing, kayaking/tubing, and shooting hoops. On the flip side, researching social justice issues and criminology is my passion.
- What I like most about SVCC
- I started my education at SVCC over ten years ago and was able to build the foundation of my education. It is a great environment for learning and has a personal touch that is essential for student success. Being able to come back to my alma mater and share my knowledge with students is a great experience.
- Working at Dixon Correctional Center (DCC) has provided me a knowledge base that is unique to most in the criminal justice field. DCC originally opened in 1918 as the Dixon State School for the mentally ill and handicapped. Ironically, it closed during the late 1970s as a result of deinstitutionalization and re-opened in 1983. Today, Dixon Correctional Center operates as Illinois' primary mental health facility and everyday, I get to deal with the direct result of one of the worst social experiments in the nation. Sharing this experience with criminal justice students is valuable as they will have to interact with the mentally ill whether it be on patrol in the streets, in corrections, or in community corrections.