Fire Science Instructor
Faculty - Full-time
Sauk Valley Community College is a comprehensive community college located in a picturesque rural setting in northwestern Illinois. Located along the scenic Rock River, between the cities of Dixon and Sterling; the College is one hour from Rockford and the Quad Cities and two hours west of Chicago.
The fire science instructor will be responsible for teaching, curriculum development, and coordination of fire science courses and programs at the College; working with the State Fire Marshal's Office in the alignment of courses and recordkeeping with OSFM standards. The position will maintain contact with area firefighting professionals to recruit and supply introductory training as well as professional development courses/seminars.
SVCC invites applications from innovative individuals. This is a tenure track, nine-month position that is available fall semester 2014. Salary is based on education and experience and may be augmented by summer teaching and overload opportunities. The College offers a liberal fringe benefits package and does not deduct FICA from paychecks.
- Develop and maintain currency of program aligned with Federal, State, and local fire service regulations.
- Oversee the operations of all coursework associated with the fire science program.
- Maintain appropriate certifications to administer and certify students.
- Prepare regular reports on status of program.
- With the marketing department, develop and maintain marketing plan for growth of program, including high school and vocational center.
- Responsible for acquiring, screening, and coordinating donations and grants from companies, departments, Federal and State agencies.
- Schedule classes, seminars and faculty assignments for the program.
- Develop internet courses that meet college and licensure standards.
- Oversee admission and program handbooks/policies.
- Admit and monitor student progression for AAS degree seeking participants.
- Recruit, hire, mentor, and orient certified faculty for classes and seminars.
- Maintain and review accurate student records for SVCC and external agencies.
- Assist in the preparation of the budget and operational plan for the department.
- Inspect and maintain equipment.
- Positively support and promote college governing board, administrator, faculty, staff, students, and communities.
- Inventory, track, and keep a replacement cycle record for equipment.
- Assume all other reasonable and professional duties as assigned by the vice president.
Master's degree in fire science or related field with 15 graduate credit hours in fire science; appropriate OSFM certifications including: Instructor I and II; Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations; and Vehicle Machinery Operations is required. Master's degree in Executive Fire Science or Fire Science Leadership is preferred. Five years of experience in firefighting, fire and public service administration, valid driver's license, and the ability to meet the physical ability standards is required. Experience working with State and local training agencies preferred.
Review of applications will begin immediately; however, to ensure full consideration please submit application materials by March 30, 2014. On-line application, cover letter, unofficial transcripts, and resume are required. Please apply on-line at Sauk’s website at www.svcc.edu (click on job opportunities).
SVCC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and is interested in receiving applications from individuals who would enhance the diversity of the College. Sauk Valley Community College is an institution of higher education that provides quality learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of its students and communities.