Health Professions Lab Assistant
Sauk Valley Community College invites applications from innovative individuals for a full-time position as a health professions lab assistant. The health professions lab assistant will assist faculty in nursing, radiology, phlebotomy and EMS with laboratory preparation. Maintain overall supervision of the health professions lab setting including ordering of supplies and control of inventory. Act as a resource nurse for the nursing students to assist them in gaining competence with nursing practices and procedures; and maintain equipment. This is a full-time, twelve month position which has a liberal fringe benefits program.
- Set up labs as documented/instructed by faculty members in a consistent, efficient and timely manner.
- Prepare necessary equipment and supplies daily to correspond with all scheduled lab activities including student practice and testing.
- Follow up with nursing faculty after lab set up.
- Monitor, document, price, and prepare requisitions for supplies and equipment as needed.
- Maintain files of purchase requisitions, supply orders, and supplier contact information.
- Maintain a current inventory of laboratory equipment and nursing educational materials used in nursing skills laboratory area.
- Responsible for software updates to equipment including pumps, manikins and other educational materials located in the nursing lab.
- Cultivate relationships for supply donations with area employers and organizations and arrange for transportation of donated supplies to the College.
- Collaborate with faculty on supply use to decrease budget expenditures.
- Assist in preparation of the budget by submitting costs and lists of needed supplies to faculty and dean.
- Ensure proper calibration, function, and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Maintain current knowledge in the operation of all equipment and nursing skills taught.
- Assist faculty as necessary with simulation lab activities.
- Assist instructors in locating and operating equipment and supplies.
- Organize the elements and prepare lab rooms for clinical competency exams for nursing.
- Coordinate schedules of room usage for classes and individual student practice time.
- Review and update lab set up documentation sheets with faculty at least one week prior to scheduled labs.
- Supervise students in the lab setting.
- Serve as a resource person for nursing students during skill practice, web based program usage and for problem solving activities.
- Document communications with nursing faculty regarding student needs and progress in open lab situations.
- Provide current information regarding medical topics of interest to students on the bulletin boards within the lab walkways and in the nursing labs.
- Teach CNA lab/clinical group in summer semester.
- Monitor and maintain safety and security of nursing labs, storage area and equipment.
- Schedule daily, weekly, monthly, etc. cleaning in conjunction with building and grounds.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the dean.
Associate in applied science degree in nursing and current Illinois RN license required. Three to five (3 to 5) years of experience in an acute care medical surgical or related setting and familiarity with medical equipment utilized in acute and long term care settings. Two years of experience in medical surgical nursing or related area required; recent hospital experience and previous teaching experience preferred. Must be highly organized, prioritize effectively, and display high level of integrity with student interaction. Ability to obtain CNA teaching certification required.
Review of applications will begin immediately; however, to ensure full consideration please submit application materials by March 16, 2014. On-line application, cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcripts are required. Please apply on-line at Sauk’s website at www.svcc.edu (click on job opportunities).
SVCC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and is interested in receiving applications from individuals who would enhance the diversity of the College. Sauk Valley Community College is an institution of higher education that provides quality learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of its students and communities.