TITLE:Campus Safety and Security Lead
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
To perform in a lead capacity to provide customer-focused security services for the buildings, grounds, equipment, and occupants of Sauk Valley Community College. Coordinate and delegate appropriately concerning security and safety issues. Work to ensure a safe learning and working environment for students, faculty, and staff as well as the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the College’s key and lock system.
- Train security staff as well as others throughout the College to handle or assist in emergency situations.
- Assist with scheduling of security personnel to ensure 24/7 coverage.
- Perform at least two full safety and security patrols of the buildings and grounds per 8-hour shift and other regular partial patrols.
- Provide security and/or escort assistance as requested.
- Open and close the building according to daily needs; prevent unauthorized entry.
- Operate all relevant building equipment according to daily needs.
- Ensure security-related rules and policies of SVCC are followed and enforce them as needed.
- Monitor internal and external cameras and ensure they are functioning correctly.
- Perform duties as a member of the crisis management team in emergency situations.
- Maintain a log to record daily activities and complete incident reports when necessary.
- Provide crime prevention inspections as required on a routine basis throughout the facility.
- Monitor internal and external security operations during events held at the College.
- Coordinate and assist in evacuation of personnel during emergency conditions at the College.
- Coordinate assistance of wheelchair individuals during emergency conditions.
- Assist in monitoring College safety-related programs.
- Member of the emergency preparedness committee.
- Provide backup support for the information center as needed.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to understand and provide verbal/visual orders from supervisor and to other staff.
- Must be able to communicate by telephone and email on a daily basis.
- Able to use various external communications devices during emergency conditions.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs., push and pull 500 lbs. on a cart.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to interpret rules, regulations, and policies.
- Must be able to work varied shifts as needed.
Contact is made as appropriate with all levels of College staff, the general public, and civic groups using SVCC buildings, facilities, and parking areas.
No supervision required.
Associate’s degree in criminal justice or related field and five years of security or security related experience is required. Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.. Certification in First Aid, CPR Instructor, pressure point control tactics, and automated external defibrillators must be completed within a set probationary period. Valid driver’s license is required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.