Back See this section in context: Criterion 4 Core Component 4A
4A.5: Employee Accomplishment
Sauk appreciates the importance of recognizing employee accomplishment, to maintaining morale and a community spirit in the workplace. To that end, the Employee Recognition Committee, chaired by the Human Resources Director, assures that employee recognition occurs regularly and systematically through the following initiatives:
- Winner’s Card: Any employee may confer a Winner’s Card to a colleague who has gone “above and beyond,” by completing a certificate in the HR office. The nominated individual is sent the certificate along with a gift card for a snack in the cafeteria. At the monthly Winner’s/Birthday Party, the name of one “winner” is drawn to receive an additional prize. The fall 2010 survey suggests that the award is more highly valued by those who send them than by those who receive them.
- Retirement recognition: Late each spring, the Recognition Committee hosts a ceremony and reception for retiring employees. Each retiree is honored with a plaque and by a tribute by a co-worker.
- Years-of-service recognition: A ceremony is held during the January in-service to honor employees who have reached milestones of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, or more years of service. Honored employees each receive a gift of appreciation for their committed service.
- Service awards: During the Spring workshop, a ceremony is held to recognize and honor outstanding employees with awards based on work quality, service to the college, and adherence to Sauk’s Shared Ethical Values. All employees may submit award nominations, which are considered by the Recognition Committee to determine the winners of the following awards:
- Distinguished Service Award (full-time Support and Professional/Technical employees)
- Distinguished Service Award (part-time Support and Professional/Technical employees)
- Distinguished Service Award (Administrators and Faculty)
- Distinguished Service Award (Adjunct Faculty)
- Rookie of the Year (Support and Professional/Technical employees)
- Rookie of the Year (Administrators and Faculty)
- STAR Award – given to the best department
- The Student Leadership Banquet (described above) includes awards to employees from two groups involved in that banquet:
- Student Support Services (SSS) recognizes a faculty member, an administrator, and a department for their support for SSS students.
- Student Services presents the Organizational Leader of the Year award in recognition of the leadership provided by a faculty or staff member to a club.
Employee accomplishments and honors appeared in the weekly Sauk Scout, until it was temporarily discontinued in 2011 for redesign. According to the fall 2009 survey, the Scout was read regularly by about two-thirds of employees. However, a review of news releases indicated that information regarding retiree or faculty awards were not released to the local news media.