Headings throughout the self-study report are matched to one of the specific statements of evidence listed below. This index provides cross-references to the discussion of these specific statements about Sauk Valley Community College (SVCC).
Criterion 1: Mission and Integrity
Core Component 1A: SVCC’s mission documents are clear and articulate publicly the college’s commitments.
- The Board of Trustees has adopted appropriate statements of mission, vision, values, goals, and organizational priorities that together clearly define SVCC’s mission. (1A.1)
- SVCC regularly evaluates and, when appropriate, revises the Strategic Directions. (1A.2)
- The Strategic Directions define the varied internal and external constituencies SVCC serves. (1A.3)
- SVCC makes the Strategic Directions available to its internal and external constituencies. (1A.4)
- The Strategic Directions clearly establish SVCC’s commitment to high academic standards and communicate them to the community. (1A.5)
Core Component 1B: In its mission documents, SVCC recognizes the diversity of its learners, other constituencies, and the greater society it serves.
- The Strategic Directions affirm SVCC’s commitment to honor the dignity and worth of individuals. (1B.1)
- In its mission documents, SVCC addresses diversity within the community values and common purposes it considers fundamental to its mission. (1B.2)
Core Component 1C: Understanding of and support for the mission pervade SVCC.
- SVCC’s internal constituencies articulate the mission in the context of a learning organization. (1C.1)
- SVCC’s budgeting priorities flow from and support the Strategic Directions. (1C.2)
- SVCC’s strategic and tactical decisions are congruent with the Strategic Directions. (1C.3)
Core Component 1D: SVCC’s governance and administrative structures promote effective leadership and support collaborative processes that enable SVCC to fulfill its mission.
- The Board enables SVCC’s chief administrative personnel to exercise effective leadership. (1D.1)
- The distribution of responsibilities and commitment to mission as defined in government structures, processes and activities is understood and is implemented through delegated authority. (1D.2)
- People within the governance and administrative structures are appropriately qualified to carry out their defined responsibilities. (1D.3)
- Faculty and other academic leaders share responsibilities for the coherence of the curriculum and the integrity of academic processes. (1D.4)
- Effective communication facilitates governance processes and activities. (1D.5)
- SVCC evaluates its structures and processes regularly and strengthens them as needed. (1D.6)
Core Component 1E: SVCC upholds and protects its integrity.
- The Board exercises its responsibility to the public to ensure that SVCC operates legally, responsibly and with fiscal honesty. (1E.1)
- SVCC understands and abides by local, state and federal laws and regulations applicable to it. (1E.2)
- SVCC implements clear and fair policies regarding the rights and responsibilities of each of its internal constituents. (1E.3)
- SVCC’s structures and processes allow it to ensure the integrity and fairness of its auxiliary services. (1E.4)
- SVCC deals fairly with its external constituents. (1E.5)
- SVCC presents itself accurately and honestly to the public. (1E.6)
- SVCC documents timely response to complaints and grievances, particularly those of students. (1E.7)
Criterion 2: Preparing for the Future
Core Component 2A: SVCC realistically prepares for a future shaped by multiple societal and economic trends.
- SVCC’s planning documents reflect a sound understanding of SVCC’s current capacity. (2A.1)
- SVCC’s planning documents demonstrate that effective environmental scanning includes attention to emerging factors. (2A.2)
- SVCC identifies authority for decision-making about organizational goals. (2A.3)
- SVCC’s planning documents show careful attention to SVCC’s function in a multicultural society. (2A.4)
- SVCC’S environment is supportive of innovation and change. (2A.5)
Core Component 2B: SVCC’s resource base supports its educational programs and its plans for maintaining and strengthening their quality in the future.
- The planning system includes measures by which it evaluates whether it has met its goals. (2B.1)
- SVCC’s planning processes are flexible enough to respond to unanticipated needs for program reallocation, downsizing, or growth. (2B.2)
- Plans for resource development and allocation document an organizational commitment to maintaining and strengthening the quality of the education it provides. (2B.3)
- SVCC plans for a resource base that can support mission-driven educational programs and services. (2B.4)
- SVCC’s history of financial resource development and spending documents a forward-looking concern for ensuring educational quality. (2B.5)
- SVCC supports and maintains initiatives to enable and maintain student enrollment. (2B.6)
- SVCC uses its human resources effectively. (2B.7)
- SVCC develops its human resources to meet future challenges. (2B.8)
Core Component 2C: SVCC’s ongoing evaluation and assessment processes provide reliable evidence of institutional effectiveness that clearly informs strategies for continuous improvement.
- SVCC maintains effective systems for collecting, analyzing, and linking organizational information to support continuous improvement. (2C.1)
- Periodic reviews of academic and administrative subunits contribute to improvement of SVCC. (2C.2)
- SVCC demonstrates that its evaluation processes provide evidence that its performance meets the stated expectations for institutional effectiveness. (2C.3)
- SVCC provides adequate support for its planning and assessment processes. (2C.4)
Core Component 2D: All levels of planning align with SVCC's mission, thereby enhancing its capacity to fulfill that mission.
- Coordinated planning processes center on the mission documents and link with the budgeting process. (2D.1)
- Implementation of SVCC's planning is evident in its operations. (2D.2)
- Long-range strategic planning processes allow for reprioritization of goals when necessary because of changing environments. (2D.3)
- Planning processes involve internal constituents in a culture of shared-governance and, when appropriate, external constituents. (2D.4)
Criterion 3: Student Learning and Effective Teaching
Core Component 3A: SVCC's goals for student learning outcomes are clearly stated for each educational program and make effective assessment possible.
- Faculty define expected student learning outcomes and create the strategies to determine whether those outcomes are achieved. (3A.1)
- SVCC clearly differentiates its learning goals for all educational offerings in a way that makes systematic assessment possible.(3A.2)
- SVCC clearly differentiates its learning goals by identifying the expected learning outcomes for each course, each program and area, and for the institution. (3A.3)
- Assessment of student learning collects evidence from multiple direct and indirect measures of student learning from both internal and external sources. (3A.4)
- Results obtained through assessment of student learning are available to appropriate constituencies, including students. (3A.5)
- Faculty and administrators routinely review the effectiveness of SVCC’s program to assess student learning. (3A.6)
Core Component 3B: SVCC values and supports effective teaching.
- Qualified faculty determine curricular content and strategies for instruction. (3B.1)
- SVCC supports professional development designed to improve teaching and learning. (3B.2)
- SVCC evaluates teaching and recognizes effective teaching. (3B.3)
- SVCC supports faculty in keeping abreast of technological advances related to teaching and learning that can positively affect student learning and the delivery of instruction. (3B.4)
- Budgeting priorities reflect that improvement in teaching and learning, especially as it relates to technology innovations, is of value to SVCC. (3B.5)
Core Component 3C: SVCC creates effective learning environments.
- SVCC creates learning environments that expand access to education for a diverse community. (3C.1)
- SVCC provides a campus environment that supports the interaction of a diverse student population with faculty and with each other. (3C.2)
- Advising programs focus on student success, including the mastery of academic skills. (3C.3)
- SVCC provides systems and programs to support students in overcoming barriers to their learning opportunities throughout their experience. (3C.4)
- SVCC provides learning environments that support underprepared students. (3C.5)
- SVCC employs technologies that enhance effective learning environments for students. (3C.6)
- SVCC's assessment and planning systems include regular review of whether its educational services enhance student learning and inform improvements across the institution. (3C.7)
Core Component 3D: SVCC's learning resources support student learning and effective teaching.
- SVCC maintains facilities necessary to support learning and teaching. (3D.1)
- SVCC maintains resources necessary to support learning and teaching. (3D.2)
- SVCC regularly evaluates the use of its learning resources to enhance student learning and effective teaching and incorporates these findings in its planning processes. (3D.3)
- SVCC makes improvements to its resources based on data gathered in the planning process. (3D.4)
Criterion 4: Acquisition, Discovery, and Application of Knowledge
Core Component 4A: SVCC demonstrates, through the actions of its board, administrators, students, faculty, and staff, that it values a life of learning.
- College policies support freedom of inquiry for faculty and students. (4A.1)
- SVCC’s planning and pattern of financial allocation demonstrate that it values and promotes a life of learning for its board of trustees, faculty and staff. (4A.2)
- The faculty and students of SVCC produce scholarship and create knowledge through research in ways appropriate to its mission. (4A.3)
- SVCC recognizes student accomplishment. (4A.4)
- SVCC recognizes employee accomplishment. (4A.5)
Core Component 4B: SVCC demonstrates that acquisition of a breadth of knowledge and skills and the exercise of intellectual inquiry are integral to its educational programs.
- SVCC integrates general education into all of its degree programs through learning outcomes intentionally created to develop the attitudes and skills requisite for life in modern society. (4B.1)
- SVCC regularly reviews the relationship between its Strategic Directions and the effectiveness of its general education. (4B.2)
- SVCC demonstrates a commitment to underprepared learners through learning outcomes intentionally created to develop the attitudes and skills requisite to success in college-level studies and life-long learning. (4B.3)
- SVCC demonstrates the linkages between curricular and co-curricular activities that support its learning outcomes. (4B.4)
- Learning outcomes demonstrate effective preparation for continued learning or occupational skills. (4B.5)
Core Component 4C: SVCC assesses the usefulness of its curricula to students who will live and work in a global, diverse, and technological society.
- Regular academic program reviews include attention to currency and relevance of courses and programs, including input provided by stakeholders. (4C.1)
- SVCC regularly seeks external confirmation of the efficacy of its academic programs and courses. (4C.2)
- Learning outcomes document that graduates have gained the behaviors that faculty have determined are essential to succeeding outside the institution. (4C.3)
- SVCC provides curricular and co-curricular opportunities that promote social responsibility. (4C.4)
Core Component 4D: SVCC provides support to ensure that faculty, students, and staff acquire, discover, and apply knowledge responsibly.
- SVCC maintains policies and practices which ensure academic integrity in the discovery and use of knowledge. (4D.1)
- SVCC provides effective oversight to ensure the responsible use of technology and information services. (4D.2)
- SVCC provides effective oversight and support services to ensure the integrity of research and practice conducted by its students and faculty. (4D.3)
Criterion 5: Engagement and Service
Core Component 5A: SVCC learns from the constituencies it serves and analyzes its capacity to serve their needs and expectations.
- SVCC extends its capacity for service through its planning, allocation of resources, and leveraging of outside funds. (5A.1)
- SVCC demonstrates attention to diversity in its community. (5A.2)
- When responding to external constituencies, SVCC is well-served by its outreach programs. (5A.3)
Core Component 5B: SVCC has the capacity and the commitment to engage with its identified constituencies and communities.
- SVCC uses both formal and informal communication processes to effectively connect with its external constituencies and connects this information into its planning process. (5B.1)
- SVCC maintains connections to community organizations and the public. (5B.2)
- SVCC's co-curricular and academic activities connect with external communities. (5B.3)
- SVCC makes its facilities available for a variety of community purposes. (5B.4)
Core Component 5C: SVCC demonstrates its responsiveness to those constituencies that depend on it for service.
- Collaborative ventures exist with education sectors and other higher learning organizations. (5C.1)
- SVCC's transfer policies and practices create an environment supportive of the mobility of learners. (5C.2)
- SVCC's programs of engagement give evidence of building effective bridges to diverse communities. (5C.3)
- SVCC participates in local partnerships focused on shared goals. (5C.4)
Core Component 5D: Internal and external constituencies value the services SVCC provides.
- SVCC's evaluation of services involves its students. (5D.1)
- Service programs and student, faculty, and staff volunteer activities are well-received by the communities served. (5D.2)
- SVCC's evaluation of services involves the community. (5D.3)
- Community officials and leaders testify to the value of SVCC to the district. (5D.4)
- SVCC's workforce development activities are valued by business leaders. (5D.5)
- SVCC provides programs to meet the continuing education needs of licensed professionals in its community. (5D.6)