Sauk Valley Community College will feature ‘Adult Student Week,’ an entire week of events dedicated to helping adults achieve success at Sauk whether they are first time or returning students.
College Night, the week’s premiere event, will be presented from 6:30 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, November 3, in Sauk's West Mall. More than 80 different representatives from colleges, universities, vocational-technical schools, and the military will be on hand to answer questions about their institutions and respective programs to prospective college students and parents. The largest gathering of its kind in the area, College Night is sponsored by Sauk and area high schools.
Short, comprehensive workshops will also be offered each day to give potential and returning adult students the information they need quickly and simply to get back to college. Workshops include:
- How to Deal with Unemployment and Set Goals for the Future, 6 p.m., Monday, November 2, Room 2K2. Janice McCoy of the Whiteside County University of Illinois Extension Office will discuss letting go of grief and hurt feelings due to a job loss and setting goals to move forward.
- Focusing Families on the Future, 6 p.m., Tuesday, November 2, Room 2K2. Open to high school sophomores and their parents, this program will provide information on careers, Sauk’s renowned Dual Credit Program, CTE programs through the Whiteside Career Center, and a panel discussion with current and former Dual Credit students.
- College Night and Financial Workshop, 6 p.m., Tuesday, November 3, Room 1K4. Deb Stiefel, coordinator of Financial Assistance, will discuss different financial aid opportunities available to students, the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA), and more.
- Skills for the Workplace (Including GED/ESL and Interviewing Skills), 6 p.m., Wednesday, November 4, Room 2K2. Virginia Johnson, director of academic development, will provide information on Sauk’s adult education programs, and Deena Jones of Wahl Clipper Corporation will provide insights and tips on job interviewing skills.
- Support for Veterans, 6 p.m., Thursday, November 5, Room 2K2. Veterans Counselor Tom Breed and Kristina Fordyce, veterans’ affairs/financial assistance specialist, will show how veterans can get assistance with educational benefits, counseling, and readjustment services.
- Individual Career Assessment for Adult Students, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Friday, November 6, Room 1E8. Current and past adult students at Sauk will provide insights and experience about their own career assessments.
For more informatio on College Night or any of these programs, Call Gerald Winger, recruiter at 815/288-5511, ext. 240, or Ana Salgado, recruiter, at ext. 432