The Retention Office is searching for students who are willing and able to assist their fellow students by mentoring a study group. Participation in a study group helps students to not only gain a better understanding of the course material, but also develop the students' skills of independence and self- confidence. The student leader, or mentor, serves as a guide in this process by providing their fellow students with the information, support, and encouragement needed to be successful.
Serving as a volunteer study group mentor is a great opportunity to help other students. You can also build your resume by developing your leadership and interpersonal skills.
To qualify as a mentor one must:
- Be a current SVCC student.
- Hold a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher.
- Have earned a grade of a B or higher in ENG 101.
- Be personable, flexible, and considerate of the needs of students
- Participate in the mentor training scheduled for Monday, March 5th from 9:30 to 11:30 am in room 2K2 prior to working with the study group. (This date is during Sauk’s spring break.)
- Commit to working with a study group beginning the week of March 12th through the remainder of the spring semester.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from an SVCC faculty or staff member.
If you are interested in this leadership opportunity, please see the attached application. Applications are due to the Retention Office by Thursday, February 23, 2012. For more information, please contact Sarah McFarlane, Retention Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-835-6368.