The Advanced Firefighter Technician is considered to be the senior category of firefighter within the fire company or department. The coursework covers the subjects required for Advanced Firefighter Technician certification enriching the skills and knowledge to perform at a higher level within the organization. The Office of the State Fire Marshall requires this before a firefighter can certified in some of their other certification titles.
Satisfy all of the following academic criteria:
- Fulfill MATH Proficiency requirement by verifying one of the following: (Note: Only one of the following must be met. The most recent score or grade will be utilized.)
- Two Semesters of High School Algebra with a "C" or better within the last five years of when the algebra course was taken.
- Satisfactory completion of MAT 074 or a higher level math course with a grade of "C" or better at SVCC.
- Grade of "C" or better in an equivalent course at another college/university.
- Placed into SVCC MAT 106 or higher.
- Fulfill READING Proficiency requirement by verifying one of the following: (Note: Only one of the following must be met. The most recent score or grade will be utilized.)
- Reading Assessment: placed out of a reading course.
- RDG 098 with a "C" or better. (ENG 105 with a "C" or better prior to Fall 2002.)
- Complete the College general admission procedure.
- Attend a Fire Science information meeting.
- Meet with a fire science coordinator and develop an academic plan.
- File a current fire science application form with the Dean of Health Professions.
- Submit two letters of recommendation to the Dean of Health Professions.
Sauk Valley Community College is required by law to give preference to in-district resident candidates. Out-of-district applicants will be considered if space is available.
Program Contacts at Sauk Valley Community College
Academic Advising, 815/835-6354;
Jeffrey Newbury, Assistant Professor of Fire Science, 815/835-6269.
Estimated Program Cost
The following figures are based on current tuition and fee rates for the required number 8 credit hours.
|Student Activity Fee||$75.00||$75.00||$75.00|
|Total Tuition and Fees||$1,138.00||$2,810.00||$3,026.00|
Estimated Additional Costs
The following figures are based on the average estimated per-credit-hour cost of attendance for the required number 8 credit hours. Actual costs will vary; check the Class Schedule for actual book costs.
|Room and Board||$3,375.00|
|Books and Supplies||$441.28|