Sauk Valley Community College

an institution of higher education that provides quality learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of its students and community

Registration Information

How to Register

Students may register for classes at Sauk Valley Community College in four ways: in person at SVCC's Office of Admissions and Records, by fax, mail or telephone using the form inside this schedule.

For questions, please call (815) 288-5511 or use the departmental directory.

Related links:

Below are Student Information Form, and a Registration Form, which you can fill out right on your screen, print and bring with you to the Admissions office.
(To view a .pdf document, you will need the free Acrobat Reader.)

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees are established by the Board of Trustees and are subject to change when necessary. See the current Tuition and fees and more information on Options for Tuition Payments.

Golden Age Tuition Pass

A special student tuition rate, called the Golden Age Tuition Pass, is available to anyone who is 65 years old or older, or who is 60 years old, fully retired and a resident of the Sauk Valley Community College district. Students attending under the Golden Age Tuition Pass are obligated to pay laboratory fees and other course fees designated by the College. The current Golden Age Tuition Pass rate is $5 per credit hour. Cancellation of Classes
The College reserves the right to limit enrollment and to cancel classes for which there is insufficient enrollment. In case of canceled classes, tuition and fees are refunded. Students are responsible for checking course prerequisites in the College Catalog.


Counselors are available for discussion of educational, personal, social or career needs. For an appointment, phone the Counseling Office at 288-5511, ext. 208.

Financial Assistance

The College strives to meet the financial need of every student who shows promise of success in college. For information on financial assistance, call the Office of Financial Aid at 288-5511, ext. 339.

Vehicle Registration and Parking

Students may park free of charge in all areas except those designated as STAFF, SERVICE, VISITORS, FIRE LANE OR LOADING ZONE. Special permits will be issued to physically disabled students or hardship cases upon approval of the director of buildings and grounds.

Transferring Credits Earned From Sauk to Another Institution

Credits earned at Sauk Valley Community College may be transferred to other institutions of higher education. Students should understand that the courses taken at Sauk must fit the program they plan to follow at the four-year institution. In order to select the courses at Sauk that will satisfy the requirements of the transfer institution, students should decide, as early as possible, to which four-year institution they wish to transfer. Counselors will assist students in planning appropriate transfer programs.

Fill out the Transfer Credits form.

College Assessment & Placement Policy

Sauk Valley Community College is committed to placing students in courses which reflect their ability level in order to provide each student with the greatest chance of success in those classes and future course work. The key to accomplishing this goal is an assessment structure that determines academic skills which students bring to Sauk and to match those skills with appropriate courses offered by the college.

To establish appropriate levels, placement tests in English usage, reading and mathematics are required of all students wishing to register for any English composition course, mathematics course or any other college course requiring a specific reading placement score.

All entering degree or certificate-seeking students must be assessed prior to registration and all non-degree-seeking students as required for the courses in which they plan to enroll. Comprehensive assessment is not required for enrollment in community service (non-credit), continuing education classes, or physical education activity courses. Students who have successfully earned reading-intensive college-level credits that may be transferred to Sauk from other accredited institutions and/or students who currently hold an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree may be exempt from the comprehensive assessment, but may still be subject to assessment for admissions to specific courses or programs of study. Any student exempt from academic assessment for the reasons listed above, may need to secure permission from the counseling office prior to enrollment.

Course Placement

Assessment results will be used by academic counselors to match students with courses that are consistent with their skill level. Students who score below the specified level on the reading section of the assessment will be required to take reading course(s) designated by the College concurrently with other courses. A list of exempt courses may be found at and on page 7 of this schedule. The required reading course(s) must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher and shall be repeated as long as the student is enrolled in the College until a grade of "C" or higher is achieved or appropriate assessment scores are attained.

Students who score below the specified level on the English and/or mathematics assessment will be required to earn a grade of "C" or higher in all prerequisites or attain appropriate assessment scores prior to enrolling in a college-level English or mathematics course.

Students may be assessed no more than two times per year and a minimum of 48 hours is recommended between exams. The highest score achieved by the student is used for course placement. Test scores are good for three years.

Students with documented disabilities will be accommodated on an individual basis as each disability dictates and should make an appointment with the Coordinator of Student Needs prior to assessment and/or enrollment.


Withdrawal from Class


Withdrawal from a class may save you money and prevent your getting an "F" on your transcript. A student who wishes to withdraw from a class for which he/she is enrolled must follow this procedure:

  1. Notify the Office of Admissions and Records in person or in writing. Program change forms are available in the Office of Admissions.
  2. Take the program change form to a counselor for approval.
  3. Take the program change form to the instructor for a grade of "W."
  4. Return the signed program change form to the Office of Admissions and Records before the week of final exams.