Sauk Valley Community College

an institution of higher education that provides quality learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of its students and community

Admissions and Registration Information

Application for Admission

Sauk maintains an "open enrollment" policy and admits all persons interested in pursuing or enhancing their education. Students enrolling in Sauk courses for the first time or those returning to Sauk after a two year absence are required to complete the Student Information Form. (Please note, admission to certain programs is limited.) For additional information and specific requirements, please refer to the college catalog.


Registration alternatives

Students who have satisfied all class prerequisites may register by accessing their SOAR account. Consult the class schedule for specific details. Students requiring registration assistance should contact the Academic Advising Office (815) 835-6354. For additional information, contact the Office of Admissions and Records at (815) 835-6273.

High school students enrolling at Sauk

Students currently enrolled in high school who wish to enroll at Sauk must follow the following procedures:

  1. Obtain written authorization: Students must submit a completed high school authorization form signed by the principal or other appropriate official. These forms may be obtained from Sauk's Academic Advising Office or from the high school guidance counselors.
  2. Assessment results: Students may be required to complete an assessment prior to enrollment. For more information, contact Sauk's Academic Advising Office.
  3. Appointment with a Sauk counselor: Students are required to make an appointment with a Sauk counselor to review their academic plans and register for classes.

Withdrawal from Classes / Refunds

Students must formally withdraw from classes - failure to attend class does not constitute a withdrawal. Beyond the refund period, students wishing to withdraw from a class must file in the Office of Admissions and Records a Program Change form signed by the instructor. Students are also encouraged to speak with staff from the Academic Advising Office and Office of Student Financial Assistance prior to withdrawing from classes.

Refund Policy for Fall and Spring Terms

16 week Courses:
100% refund period - through the first week of the term
80% refund period - the second week of the term
(See the College Calendar for specific dates.)
Less than 16 week Courses:
100% refund period - first day of the class and the following business day
80% refund period - 3rd and 4th business day
(Contact the Admissions and Records Office at 815-835-6273 for specific course dates.)
Refund Policy for Summer Term
100% refund period - first day of the class and following business day
80% refund period - third and fourth business day

Transcript Request

View and print out Request for Sauk Transcripts (pdf).

The Office of Admissions and Records processes all requests for Sauk transcripts. Each official transcript will require a $6 fee; all unofficial transcripts are free. For additional information, contact Transcripts, in the Office of Admissions and Records at (815) 835-6273.

Online Transcript Request

Sauk Valley Community College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the web. You can order transcripts using any major credit card. Your card will only be charged after your order has been completed.

To order official transcript(s) online, login to the  Clearinghouse secure site

  • The site will walk you through placing your order, including delivery options and fees. You can order as many transcripts as you like in a single session using you major credit card.
  • Your signed consent will be required to fulfill your transcript order. For your convenience, a consent form will be generated for your order that you can return via fax, mail, or as a scanned e-mail attachment.
  • Order updates will be e-mailed to you.You can also check orders status or history online.
  • If you need help or have questions about the clearinghouses transcript ordering service, contact us by phone at 703.742.7791 or
  • No transcripts are mailed on days that the college is closed - holidays, and the time between Christmas and New Year's. Please plan accordingly.

Transfer Courses

Sauk will accept credits earned at other regionally accredited institutions. A Transcript Evaluation Request form must be completed and filed in the Office of Admissions and Records if you are pursuing a degree or certificate and would like your transcripts to be evaluated. For additional information, contact the Records Analyst, Sherri Whitlock at (815) 835-6327 or

Other Ways to Earn College Credit

Students enrolled at Sauk may earn credits based on prior experience in the following ways:

  • Armed service experience
  • Evaluation (certifies knowledge gained through work experience, technical/vocational training, and other learning experiences)
  • Proficiency examination
  • Credits earned at other institutions
  • CLEP (College Level Examination Program) and Dantes tests
  • Advanced Placement Examination program
  • Credit by certification, license or registry

For additional information contact an advisor or the appropriate dean.

Degree Audits

Students completing a degree or certificate must apply for graduation by filing an Intent to Graduate form in the Office of Admissions and Records. The form must be submitted by the fourth week of the fall or spring semester or by the second week of the summer semester in which they will fulfill their graduation requirements. For additional information contact Pam Medema, Registrar, at (815) 835-6378 or at


A College-wide commencement ceremony is held once each year in May. All participants in the May commencement should have an Intent to Graduate form on file in the Office of Admissions and Records. A $30 commencement fee is required. This fee entitles students to participation in the ceremony and includes cap and gown, graduation tassel, and diploma cover. For additional information contact Pam Medema, Registrar, at (815) 835-6378 or at

Student Records and Confidentiality

The following information is designated by the college as public or "Directory Information" and may be released for any purpose at the discretion of the College.

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Full Time / Part Time Status
  • Photographs
  • Most recent educational institution attended
  • Participation in recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams

Currently enrolled students may request to withhold Directory Information by submitting to the Office of Admissions and Records a "Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information" form. A copy of the Act or questions concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act may be referred to the Janet Matheney, Assistant Dean of Student Services at (815) 835-6305.

Notification of Student Rights under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, Director of Admissions and Records, or the Vice President of Student Services written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is defined as a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-4605