Many students attend college without a particular major in mind. If you are one of these "deciding" students, advisors are available to assist you in the career decision-making process by helping you:
- Explore and clarify your interests, values, abilities and experiences
- Administer and interpret interest inventories and indicators including the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and the Strong Interest Inventory
- Acquire more information about the World of Work
- Identify your strengths and assets
- Provide career and occupational information and resources
- Learn more about the decision-making process
It is important to understand that no one person or resource can predict your future career or major, but with professional guidance and personal commitment, you can take charge of your career direction.
Schedule an appointment (on-campus only) to meet with an advisor to learn more about the career decision-making process.
Career/Job Search Websites
The more you know about yourself, the better career choice you can make. Only you can decide which career is best for you. These are some online self assessment tools and other job search related sites that may help in your career exploration and job search process. For individual assistance, schedule an appointment with a counselor/advisor by calling 815-835-6354.
Links to clarify your temperament, personality, skills, etc.
- Keirsey Temperament Sorter
- What Color is Your Parachute?
- Career Path
- The Career Key
- Learning Styles Index
- VARK Learning Styles questionnaire
Links to help you get more information about a given career
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Careers and Choices
- Illinois Job Outlook
- Find How
- Illinois Center for Nursing
Resources for SVCC Students
This resource is only available for current SVCC students (a login will be required)