The Disability Support Office (DSO) may determine that alternative media/text materials are a reasonable accommodation for some students. Alternative materials may be provided for books, classroom handouts such as Power Points, and exams. Students requesting alternative materials are encouraged to do so as early as possible.
- Alternative media formats may include braille, PDF (Portable Document Format with text), or RTF (Rich Text Format), DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) DOC (Word document) materials printed on colored paper or enlarged print.
- Alternative media/text takes time to produce. Students that have met with the DSO and have been authorized to receive alternative text materials should make requests early.
- Requests for DAISY formats must be made six weeks in advance to ensure time for production.
- DAISY books may be accessed using the DOLPHIN reader program available on campus in the Testing center, computer labs, and Learning Resource Center.
- Braille materials are sent off site for production. Exams, syllabus and course handouts require a minimum three (3) week lead time.Text books may take six months to complete.
Students that have been approved for alternative materials through the DSO must provide a copy of the syllabus for each course. This helps to ensure that the materials needed are completed in a timely manner for that course.