- What is Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment?
- Dual Credit means a qualified high school student is taking a college level course for BOTH high school and college credit. This is not determined by SVCC but by the student’s home high school.
- Dual Enrollment means a qualified student is taking a college level course for ONLY college credit. This is not determined by SVCC but by the student’s home high school. In many cases these courses are career and technical courses or courses the student will not need towards his or her high school graduation.
- Who can participate in Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment?
Any current high school student who has completed his or her sophomore level of high school, is at least 16 years of age and has met all course prerequisites and or testing standards. Students who are under 16 years of age and wish to participate should contact Taylor Baker at 815-835-6240 to discuss the options for enrollment.
- Can Homeschool students participate in Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment?
Yes, as long as the student meets the correct prerequisite and enrollment guidelines, homeschool students are eligible to participate. SVCC does not however, determine if a course is can be used as a high school graduation requirement.
- What are the testing requirements?
If a student does not have a valid SAT or ACT score on file (taken within the past three years) a student should take the necessary SVCC Placement exam/s. For questions on which placement exam is needed per course please contact Taylor Baker at 815-835-6240.
- What is the cost for Dual Credit/ Dual Enrollment?
Both Dual Credit and Dual Enrollment are billed the same way. All students are assessed at 75% of the current tuition rate per credit hour. For the 2017-2018 academic year, the tuition rate is $134.00 per credit hour for in-district students making the Dual Credit/Enrollment rate $100.50 per credit hour. Students who qualify for reduced or free lunch are given a further discount.
- How do I know if I qualify for a further discount?
Reduced or free lunch information is supplied to SVCC by the student’s home high school. If the student does not attend a public institution, there is a form that can be completed and brought into the SVCC Business Office to be evaluated. See Tuition Waivers FAQ
- Is there a payment plan for Dual Credit/Enrollment?
Yes there is a payment plan that can be set up for each academic semester. The student can set this up through his or her SOAR account or through the Business Office’s website. There is an enrollment fee of $20 and the provided checking/credit account on the file is then billed evenly on three set dates during the semester enrolled.
- Are books and materials included in the Dual Credit/Enrollment discount?
No, books, course fees and any course materials needed for SVCC courses are the student’s responsibility and do not qualify for a price reduction.
- What courses are Dual Credit/Enrollment students eligible to take at SVCC?
The outcomes of the student’s placement exam/s and high school transcripts will determine what courses the student is eligible to register for.