Sauk Makes it Possible, You Make it Happen.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program

Reserve Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 1607

What is REAP?

REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Who qualifies for REAP?

The Secretaries of each military service, Department of Defense, and Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) will determine eligibility and establish the program to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserves of the armed forces who are called to duty for 90 days or more. Members may be eligible after serving 90 consecutive days on active duty after September 11, 2001.

You will receive 36 months of full time entitlement at your given rate. A REAP participant may not use more than 48 months of entitlement under any combination of VA Educational programs.

How Much Does VA Pay?

The benefit payable under REAP is a percentage of the Chapter 30 three-year or more enlistment rate click HERE for rates based on the number of days of continuous service on active duty.

IMPORTANT: Members on active duty are only entitled to be reimbursed for the actual cost of the tuition and fees of the courses taken (not to exceed the statutory rate.)

$600 Buy-up Program

Some reservists may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill®to receive increased monthly benefits. For an additional $600 contribution, you may receive up to $5400 in additional GI Bill®benefits. You must be a member of a Ready Reserve component (Selected Reserve, Individual Ready Reserve, or Inactive National Guard) to pay into the "buy-up" program. For more information contact your personnel or payroll office. For a listing of the increased monthly rates click

How Do I Apply?

Your unit will give you DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), when you become eligible for the program. Your unit will also code your eligibility into the Department of Defense personnel system so that VA may verify your eligibility.

New Applicant

You may apply by filling out VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits and submitting the completed form along with your DD-214 member 4, and a SVCC Veteran Educational Benefit Cover Sheet to the Office of Veterans Services. You must also request transcripts from all previous education/training be sent to SVCC. Contact information for transcript requests may be found here.

You may also apply online at the Veterans On-Line Applications (VONAPP) website. If you choose to apply online, please print out the application and bring it along with your SVCC Veteran Educational Benefit Cover Sheet to the Office of Veterans Services. We will notify the Veterans Administration Office of your method of applying for benefits.

Transfer Applicant

You can apply by filling out VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. This form is available online at the Veterans On-Line Applications (VONAPP) website. The original VA Form 22-1995 and SVCC Veteran Educational Benefit Cover Sheet must be submitted to the Office of Veterans Services.

Monthly Verification of Enrollment

All veterans using the REAP must verify their enrollment at the end of each month that they are receiving benefits for. Your enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using our Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

How can I Prevent Overpayments and Penalties?

An overpayment is an incorrect benefit payment that is more than the amount to which you are entitled. You must promptly notify SVCC's Certifying Official of changes affecting your benefits, to prevent or reduce overpayments.

Carefully read all mail from the VA about the effective dates and monthly rate of your benefits. If you think you have received an incorrect check or direct deposit, contact the VA immediately. If you fail to contact the VA regarding a check or direct deposit for the wrong amount, you will be liable for repayment of any resulting overpayment.

How Can I Get More Information?

Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs web page here. Or Call toll free 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).