TITLE:Learning Commons Disability Support Instructional Assistant
SUPERVISED BY:Learning Commons Tutoring Coordinator
Coordinator of Disability Support
CATEGORY:Part-time Professional Technical (Grant Funded)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Aid the supervisor in the day-to-day operations of the learning commons tutoring, help students with academic problem solving, and assist disability support students in comprehension of course material in a variety of ways in order to successfully complete classes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tutor students in academic subject areas.
- Identify and refer students to appropriate supplementary materials.
- Assist students in the development of study skills and learning strategies necessary for successful completion of courses.
- Monitor and assist students in using equipment, including the use of software and equipment aids for students with disabilities.
- Maintain current and accurate documentation and tutoring records regarding student contact and progress.
- Supervise learning commons tutoring and student tutors in the absence of the supervisor.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the supervisor(s) regarding student progress.
- Make referrals to appropriate College resources as needed.
- Conduct review sessions.
- Attend supervision sessions, tutor meetings, and annual evaluation sessions with the supervisor(s) as requested.
- Conduct tours of the learning commons for Sauk classes and visiting groups.
- Visit classrooms to explain services of the learning commons.
- Assume all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisors.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong skills in customer service and possess excellent verbal and written skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to provide oral and written responses to student questions, and assist faculty given general guidance.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work some evening and varied hours.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, faculty, the general public, and outside organizations in relation to specific departmental duties and services.
Functional supervision is exercised over tutors and the learning commons in the absence of the supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field and experience which provides relevant knowledge and skills required. Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff and students required. It is preferred that the tutor have experience in the course being tutored or a similar course; and/or experience in teaching similar curriculum. Must have the ability to quickly establish and maintain a good working relationship and rapport with staff and students.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.