TITLE:Adult Education Instructional Aide
SUPERVISED BY:Program Director of Adult Education
GRADE:Support - Grade 3
CATEGORY:Part-time Support Staff - (Grant Funded)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Support and provide high quality learning opportunities that assist students in meeting their educational goals and career aspirations; under the direction of the instructor, develop, design, and create instructional techniques to assist students who use technology supplemental educational services; under the direction of the instructor, perform instructional-related duties and responsibilities in a timely manner and in accordance with the mission, policies, and procedures of the College; and demonstrate a commitment to the Adult Education department system for assessment, cooperative learning, and student advising.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be supportive and accessible to students in achieving their learning goal(s).
- Tutor/coach students in academic subject areas and/or ESL skills.
- Identify and refer students to appropriate supplementary materials or on-line services and applications.
- Conduct study groups, mini lessons, or review sessions as per instructor’s direction.
- Collaborate with instructors on knowledge and skills necessary for accomplishing student’s learning goals.
- Develop additional instructional materials as per instructor’s direction.
- Monitor and assist students in using equipment; including use of software, on-line programs, and educational applications.
- Accurately record student data.
- Assist in retention efforts (e.g., make follow-up phone calls or send postcards)
- Assume all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to provide oral or written responses to student questions, and assist instructor when given general guidance.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by email and phone on a daily basis.
- Ability to travel to Adult Education class sites to serve specific groups of students.
- Must have ability to attend professional development meetings as well as staff meetings.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and Adult Education/ESL faculty in relation to specific departmental duties and services.
No supervision required.
High School diploma or GED required. Associate’s degree preferred. Experience working with adult learners desirable. Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff and students required. Familiarity with computers. Bi-lingual applicants preferred.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.