Campus Job Descriptions
- Vice President of Academics and Student Services
- Dean of Business, Career, and Technical Programs
- Program Director of Adult Education
- Director of the SVCC Police Academy
- Assistant Director of the SVCC Police Academy and Security
- Dean of Transfer Programs and Academic Support Services
- Learning Commons Library Coordinator
- Learning Commons Tutoring Coordinator
- Dean of Health Professions
- Dean of Student Services
- Director of Athletics and Fitness Center
- Director of Enrollment Management/Registrar
- Director of Financial Assistance
- Student Support Services Project Director
- Director of Disability Support Services
- Vice President of Advancement
- Executive Director of Donor Relations and Economic Development
- Director of Business Training and Community Education
- Career Services and Community Education Program Coordinator
- Vice President of Business Services (CFO)
- Dean of Information Technology
- Director of Infrastructure and Network Services
- Director of Software and User Services
- Director of Facilities
- Director of Human Resources
TITLE:Financial Assistance Advisor and Coordinator of Veteran’s Services
SUPERVISED BY:Director of Financial Assistance
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
The Coordinator of Veteran’s Services shall be the ombudsperson serving the specific needs of student veterans and military personnel and their families and shall serve as an advocate before the administration of the College for the needs of student veterans. Advise students and perform general office activities related to student financial assistance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for daily contact with veterans, dependents or spouses of veterans concerning eligibility for Federal and State benefits. Answer questions concerning those benefits and act as an educational liaison for veterans between SVCC and Federal/State agencies.
- Analyze, process, and submit enrollment certifications as a Certifying Official, determining eligible classes and degree programs for Veteran Educational Benefits; monitor changes to registration and submit changes when necessary.
- Advise students through veteran benefit application procedures; evaluate documents and DD-214 papers for eligibility and timely processing of benefits.
- Work in conjunction with Veteran Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor to develop academic plans for eligible veterans; process specialized enrollment certification of Veteran Vocational Rehabilitation students; and determine other areas of assistance (including referral to Disability Support office).
- Coordinate with Office of Financial Assistance staff to process financial aid paperwork; avoid conflicting State and Federal Aid programs with veteran benefits; and determine eligibility for processing student loans, while utilizing veteran benefits.
- Maintain and update Veteran Educational Benefits portion of SVCC website.
- Identify and resolve discrepancies with Veteran Educational Benefits though contact with Federal, State and local agencies, including Federal ELR, State Specialist and Veteran Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
- Refer veteran students to appropriate Student Services offices for additional assistance, including but not limited to Disability Support office, Academic Advising and Counseling, Bookstore, and Financial Assistance.
- Review, compose, and submit required documentation to Federal and State Departments of Veteran Affairs on behalf of SVCC, to maintain utilization of Veteran Educational Benefits at this institution.
- Complete and submit all reports regarding veteran services at SVCC that are required by Federal and State regulations. Complete yearly application for Vet Friendly status.
- Keep informed of revisions and legislative developments in State and Federal Veteran programs.
- Monitor veteran students’ academic progress, assuring satisfactory academic progress and course completion.
- Demonstrate an overall positive and successful annual audit of veteran files by Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs and Federal Department of Veteran Affairs when requested.
- Remain available to assist veteran students with any educational or academic issues at SVCC and ensure strict confidentiality of student records, conversations, and comply with FERPA guidelines.
- Responsible for daily contact with parents, students, and community residents regarding Federal, State, and institutional financial assistance questions, eligibility, and procedures.
- Complete and review financial aid applications, determine student eligibility, collect/enter data, and award funds for payment of tuition, fees, books, and supplies based on Federal, State, and institutional regulations.
- Assist with verifying student and parent information, transmitting corrections through Banner software, and calculating adjusted student eligibility on Institutional Student Information Reports using Federal, State and institutional guidelines.
- Assist supervisor with professional judgment and budget appeals.
- Assist with the completion of non-verification files.
- Maintain confidentiality of all student records/files and comply with FERPA/GLB regulations.
- Assist supervisor with the training and supervision of veteran office work-study students.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong skills in customer service and possess good verbal and written skills.
- Must be able to operate office equipment proficiently.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide and understand verbal/visual orders and presentations from supervisors and to subordinates and the general public.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends.
Daily contact with College personnel, faculty, current and potential students, high school students, and the general public in the routine performance of duties and departmental services. Occasional contact with government organizations, lending agencies, and other Colleges. Occasionally conduct presentations on behalf of the Financial Assistance office.
Functional supervision is exercised over designated College work-study personnel
Associates degree is required. Veteran highly preferred. Three years of financial aid experience in a community college setting preferred. Must have ability to represent College and Office in a professional manner. Experience with word processing software required; experience in VAOnce, Filebound, and SCT Banner financial aid software preferred. Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, and ability to work in stressful, fast paced work environment are required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.