TITLE:Learning Commons Circulation Assistant
SUPERVISED BY:Learning Commons Library Coordinator
GRADE:Support - Grade 3
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Perform technical and clerical procedures in the library; assist patrons and provide general assistance in all phases of library operation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate circulation desk and refer library users when necessary.
- Coordinate inter-library loans including related basic filing, paperwork, bibliographic verification, and correspondence.
- Maintain basic circulation records; process overdue notices, correspondence, and patron account records.
- Assist Coordinator with reports on use of library print and electronic holdings.
- Assist Coordinator with evaluation and maintenance of print collection.
- Maintain and update institutional archive collection.
- Coordinate course reserves including associated paperwork, processing, and correspondence with faculty.
- Coordinate updates of library website.
- Assist patrons by providing information and technical support for use of computer workstations.
- Provide instructional technology assistance as required, including computerized catalog, online subscriptions, and Internet information.
- Assist Coordinator with training and supervision of library work-study employees.
- Identify damaged or endangered materials under direction of the supervisor.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to operate basic office equipment proficiently.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Time spent standing and walking while assisting patrons and re-shelving books is approximately 70%; time sitting for data entry and materials processing. is 30%
- Must have the ability to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
Frequent personal contact is made with all levels of college personnel, faculty, students, the general public, and outside organizations in relation to specific departmental duties and services.
Functional supervision is exercised over designated work-study students.
Associate’s degree and one year of library experience or equivalent education and experience is required; bachelor’s degree is preferred. Experience or training in relevant computer work and library technologies is preferred. Excellent communication skills and service orientation required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.