TITLE:Learning Commons Technical Services Assistant
SUPERVISED BY:Learning Commons Library Coordinator
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Perform technical, office, and clerical procedures in the library; supervise the library during evening hours as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create, copy, code, verify, and edit information (bibliographic, holdings, and items records) in the library’s integrated library system; and maintain current holdings records using OCLC’s Connexion.
- . Search, return, check in, and/or label new materials and prepare a new materials list.
- Assist with media acquisition by searching for bibliographic data, checking titles against holdings, preparing orders, checking orders, processing materials, and other similar tasks.
- Monitor and secure the library’s cash box.
- Assist Coordinator with training and supervision of work-study students.
- Provide patron assistance with direction, reference and other questions and with research methodology.
- Complete general technical services/clerical procedures.
- Maintain supply inventories and keep records for all supply orders.
- Conduct yearly inventory in accordance with standard procedure.
- Maintain photocopiers, manage student photocopy procedure, and assist staff in using photocopiers.
- Assist patrons by providing information and technical support for their usage of computer workstations.
- Provide instructional technology (computer catalog, online subscriptions, and Internet information, technical support) assistance as required.
- Identify damaged or endangered materials and extensively repair or preserve them.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to operate basic office equipment proficiently.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Time spent standing and walking while assisting patrons and re-shelving books is approximately 70%; time sitting for data entry and materials processing is 30%.
- Must have the ability to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
Frequent and personal contact is made with all levels of College personnel, faculty, students, the general public, and outside organizations in relation to specific departmental duties and services.
Functional supervision is exercised over designated work-study students.
Associate’s degree and three years of library cataloging experience or a bachelor’s degree and one year of library experience required. Experience or training in relevant computer work and library technologies preferred. Excellent communication skills and service orientation required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.