TITLE:Adult Education Advisor
SUPERVISED BY:Program Director of Adult Education
CATEGORY:Full-time Professional Technical (Grant Funded)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Support and provide high quality learning opportunities that assist students in meeting their educational goals and career aspirations; develop, design, and create transitional opportunities for students that relate to enrollment in higher education and/or career training programs; perform instructional-related duties and responsibilities in accordance with the mission, policies, and procedures of the College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as an advisor to students in the adult education program by communicating expectations, providing guidance, and monitoring student progress towards the transition to college or job attainment.
- Assist with the development and coordination both the Bridge and Integrated Education and Training (IET) programs to transition students into targeted areas of employment and/or post-secondary education.
- Assist with the development of systems for recruiting and retaining students in adult education programs that includes program promotion, new student orientation, and successful program completion.
- Cooperate, communicate, refer, and consult with appropriate college departments for the effective support of the students transitioning into the college.
- Direct and assist student to/through admissions, registration, testing and financial aid application procedures for enrollment in college level instruction.
- Meet with students to assist with personal and social development and to provide referral assistance as needed.
- Participate in staff development and training.
- Collaborate with social services agencies to provide appropriate referral services to students.
- Collaborate with BEST, Inc. and other workforce partners to provide services related to job training and employment.
- Utilize computerized database to monitor student progress and retention.
- Use assessment and interview results to determine the nature and level of support services needed for the student’s academic success.
- Serve as the instructor for students completing the high school equivalency test preparation program online.
- Maintain participant files in compliance with program requirements and guidelines.
- Establish a network of contacts in the workforce in order to identify industry needs and effectively impart those needs to Bridge and IET program students.
- Show tolerance and flexibility in working with persons from disadvantaged social, economic and educational backgrounds.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by email and phone on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations and instruction to students, employees, and the general public.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to travel to classes located off the SVCC campus.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, Adult Education/ESL faculty, and business representatives in relation to specific departmental duties and services.
No supervision required.
Bachelor’s degree and experience teaching or counseling adult learners is required. Knowledgeable in the areas of adult education and workforce development. Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff and students required. Bi-lingual applicants preferred.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.