TITLE:System Infrastructure Engineer
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of Information and Security
DEPARTMENT:Information Technology Services
CATEGORY:Full-time Professional Technical
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Coordinate College-wide computer network and network security, including network security installation, maintenance, and tracking. Provide server support for Linux and Windows servers. Provide technical assistance relating to institutional hardware and software.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Setup and maintain virtual data center products.
- Setup and maintain routing and switching network infrastructure.
- Setup and maintain network security devices.
- Setup and maintain wireless infrastructure.
- Setup and maintain storage area network.
- Setup and maintain Linux servers and services.
- Setup and maintain Window servers and services.
- Setup and maintain Google Apps hosting services.
- Setup and maintain processes for automation of the learning management system.
- Serve as the contact person for the College’s Internet service providers.
- Provide backup support to phone system hardware and software.
- Assist the supervisor in network design and planning new initiatives.
- Assist Facilities department with building automation systems.
- Develop and maintain process, technical documentation, and end-user documentation as requested by departments.
- Assist in maintaining and planning ITS budget, and equipment requests.
- Provide backup support to other ITS personnel as assigned by supervisor.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by telephone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide and understand verbal/visual orders from supervisor and to subordinates.
- General physical effort required includes standing and walking, some bending, lifting, (up to 50 lbs.) and reaching.
- Must be able to operate computers and work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to work non-standard hours as needed.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
No supervision required.
Associate’s degree in Computer Science or related field; or comparable work experience required. Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Two years relevant work experience required with community college/education/government experience preferred. Strong oral and written communication skills required. Experience in networking and network security; and experience in Linux and Windows servers required. Understanding of common Internet protocols: DHCP, DNS, HTTP, FTP, ICMP, NTP, SMTP, SNMP, SSH, and TLS are required. CCNP certification is preferred. Experience in IPv6, BGP, wireless, and VoIP desired
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.