TITLE:Director of Human Resources
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination, and evaluation of the Human Resources function.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and administer an effective recruitment program.
- Prepare, recommend, and maintain records and procedures for controlling personnel transactions and reporting personnel data.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and insure College’s compliance.
- Prepare annual contracts for staff.
- Responsible for job descriptions and recommending job classifications and salary levels.
- Maintain Affirmative Action Plan.
- Serve as the Affirmative Action and Sexual Harassment Officer; conduct AA/EEO and Sexual Harassment investigations in accordance with prescribed guidelines.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all grievances in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA); recommend appropriate accommodations.
- Maintain and secure official personnel files on staff.
- Oversee staff recognition and awards programs.
- Responsible for all College health insurance programs.
- Maintain a database of retirees and assist the retiree association with official communications.
- Serve as a member of the administrative team, including service on the President’s Cabinet and cooperate with all members of the administration in addressing issues that relate to both Human Resources and the overall mission of the College.
- Maintain professional contact through participation in necessary seminars and professional meetings.
- Develop in cooperation with the President annual goals and objectives including submission of an annual report summarizing accomplishments of the previous year.
- Assume all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned by the President.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations to department personnel, institution, local community areas, and Board of Trustees as required.
- Must be able to interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to handle discreet and sensitive issues maintaining confidentiality.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties and in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over the Human Resources personnel.
Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred in human resources or related field. Five to six years experience in personnel administration required, preferably in a college setting. Knowledge of federal and state personnel law, and ability to use computerized word processing, database, spreadsheet, and presentation software required. Excellent interpersonal communication skills with all levels of staff required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.