TITLE:Maintenance Mechanic, Electrical
SUPERVISED BY:Assistant Director of Facilities
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Perform a variety of activities relative to repair and maintenance of campus plant and equipment; assume lead responsibility for electrical repairs and projects. Assist with other general maintenance of Buildings and Grounds assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform a variety of activities relative to repair and maintenance of all aspects of the physical plant, with an emphasis on electrical systems.
- Adhere to College safety program and perform work in a safe, professional manner.
- Perform repairs on pumps, valves, motors, controls, steam regulators, boilers, exhaust fans, and the like; prepare for inspection of the boiler plant as well as draining of the cooling system; tear down and cleaning inspection for summer use; calibrate all controls for heating and air conditioning.
- Perform basic electrical repairs and hard wiring installation for the College.
- Maintain inventory of equipment and repair parts lists for electrical installations to ensure proper maintenance is accomplished on plant facilities.
- Participate on an as needed basis in planning and construction of minor building and remodeling projects.
- Shovel snow and perform other grounds keeping duties as assigned.
- Advise the Director on the implementation of an effective preventive maintenance plan for College electrical systems.
- Perform remodeling, redecorating, or other repair and maintenance activities such as painting, carpentry, caulking and sealing, pouring and finishing cement, brick pointing, installing shelves and the like as assigned.
- Assist in mechanical maintenance and other Buildings and Grounds function as assigned.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Director.
- Must be able to communicate by telephone on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide and understand verbal/visual orders from supervisor and to other staff as required.
- Must be able to lift heavy equipment, pumps and motors weighing 75 lbs., and be able to carry small items weighing 50 lbs.; push and pull carts loaded with pump/boiler equipment weighing 600 lbs.
- Must be able to use, demonstrate and train maintenance personnel on use of equipment and procedures.
- Must be able to climb and balance oneself on a ladder, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl into tight places as required.
Confer with faculty and staff on departmental services and work requests. Confer with vendors and contractors who supply electrical equipment.
Functional supervision may be exercised over a temporary maintenance employee.
High school diploma or GED required. Two years of experience in electrical systems required; heating and air conditioning, water systems, welding machine shop, plumbing and brick block work experience preferred. Basic knowledge of general maintenance work required. Electrician license or ability to obtain license required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.