SUPERVISED BY:Assistant Director of Facilities
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Perform a variety of activities involved in maintaining the College in a clean, sanitary, and orderly manner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform a variety of activities involved in maintaining designated areas in a clean, sanitary, and orderly manner.
- Dust, mop, vacuum, wax, and seal hard surface floors and carpets as appropriate.
- Clean lavatories and replenish lavatory supplies.
- Move furniture; participate in arranging and setting up for special occasions as requested.
- Clean and polish windows, water foundations, furniture, banisters, walls, and the like.
- Pick up trash on all floors and remove to dumpster.
- May train work-study students in equipment handling and procedures; may assign and oversee work.
- Report acts of vandalism and theft to appropriate personnel.
- Maintain cleaning equipment in good working order and properly store when not in use; report need for repairs to appropriate personnel.
- Read and understand the safety requirements as outlined for all cleaning products as displayed on SDS sheets.
- Perform security patrols of building and grounds.
- Open and close the building according to daily needs; prevent unauthorized entry.
- Operate all relevant building equipment according to daily needs, including lighting and snow removal equipment.
- Ensure security-related rules and policies of SVCC are followed and enforce them as needed.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisors.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to understand and provide verbal/visual orders to staff.
- Must be able to use, demonstrate, and train personnel on custodial equipment.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs., and push and pull 500 lbs. on a cart.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to operate snow removal equipment.
Contact is made as appropriate with all levels of College staff, students, and general public.
No supervision required.
High school diploma or GED and valid driver’s license are required. General knowledge of good housekeeping and sanitation and/or one year security experience is required. Certification of First Aid, CPR, pressure point control tactics, and automated external defibrillators must be completed within a set probationary period.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.