TITLE:Dean of Student Services
SUPERVISED BY:Vice President of Academics and Student Services
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Assists the Vice President of Academics and Student Services in the operation of academic advising/counseling, disability support, enrollment management services (admissions and records), student activities/cross cultural, financial assistance, testing center, athletics, S.H.A.R.P., and TRIO/student support services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides overall leadership and coordination of academic advising/counseling, disability support, enrollment management services (admissions and records), financial assistance, student activities/cross cultural, testing center, athletics, S.H.A.R.P. and TRIO/student support services.
- Assist the supervisor in the coordination and preparation of the annual budget for the student services area and see that it is properly administered.
- Serve on institutional committees related to the welfare of students.
- Develop, interpret, and recommend changes to institutional policies and procedures related to student development and welfare including the annual review and revision of the student handbook.
- Support the planning and execution of assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Provides staff with appropriate professional development and in-service training.
- Remains up-to-date with state and federal legislation regarding student services, and ensures that the college’s policies and procedures are congruent with the legislation.
- Assist the Dean of Information and Security in emergency procedures, security issues, and evacuation of the building in emergency situations.
- Build and maintain effective relationships between student services, and internal and external constituencies including K-12; other colleges and universities; and industry, public, and private agencies.
- Responsible for development and administration of the Code of Student Conduct and Disciplinary Procedures.
- Responsible for administration of the Student Right to Know Act.
- Serve as the liaison and first point of contact for the student appeals process.
- In conjunction with the Director of Enrollment Management, maintain a comprehensive admissions and registration program, which includes organizing and administering the registration and scheduling of events.
- Supervise operation of a student record system that maintains students’ files, grades, and transcripts including security and organization of these records.
- Ensure programming is provided which enhances and promotes academic success and/or contributes to the quality of college life, such as cultural and contemporary programs, alcohol awareness programs, leadership programs, travel programs, sexual harassment/violence prevention programs, and transportation resources. Ensure activities are provided that promote the understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures and races that foster the development of community within the College.
- Supervise the Student Activities Coordinator, and student clubs and organizations by providing operational guidelines, consultation, support, and assistance.
- Supervise the testing center coordinator by providing guidance, consultation, support, and assistance.
- Supervise the planning and delivery of transfer resources, student success workshops, and student retention initiatives.
- Supervise specialized delivery of services to students including disability support, institutional, and federal grant programs.
- Serve as a member of the administrative team and cooperate with all members of administration in addressing issues that relate to student services and the overall mission of the College.
- Develop in consultation with the supervisor annual goals and objectives for the student services area.
- Prepare and submit to the supervisor an annual report summarizing accomplishments of the previous year.
- Serve as Administrator on Duty on a rotating basis (3% tort).
- Serve on the Emergency Preparedness Committee (2% tort).
- Assume all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to handle discreet and sensitive issues maintaining confidentiality.
- Must have strong communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations to department personnel, institution, and Board of Trustees.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and e-mail on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
Maintain regular contact with departments, divisions and appropriate personnel and faculty to ensure that the student services departments function effectively. Frequent interaction and personal contact with community leaders, general public, outside organizations, and State governing boards pertaining to the student services division.
Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over the Academic Advisors, Clinical Mental Health /Academic Counselors, Student Support Services Project Director, Director of Enrollment Management/Registrar, Program Director of Disability Support, Student Activities/Cross-Cultural Coordinator, Financial Assistance Director, Testing Center Coordinator, and the Athletic/Fitness Center Director.
Master’s Degree in higher education student personnel or related field required. Minimum of five years experience in community college administration and/or related experience in higher educational institution required. Demonstrated knowledge of social services principles, interpersonal and public relations skills, and supervisory experience required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.