TITLE:Academic Advisor and Retention Specialist
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of Student Services
CATEGORY:Full-time Professional Technical
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Reports to the Dean of Student Services and is responsible for implementing the mission and goals of the student services and academic advising program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide academic advising to new and prospective students with or without an academic major; explain policies, procedures, and program requirements; assist students in selecting educational and career goals.
- Consult with students regarding academic problems or concerns and assist students in obtaining support to meet these specific needs.
- Review, interpret, and evaluate applicant test scores and other information to determine eligibility status.
- Provide current information to students on university/college articulation issues.
- Function as a collector, disseminator and interpreter of educational and occupational materials.
- Participate in student-related research and evaluation of effectiveness of academic advising services.
- Serve on institutional committees related to the welfare of students, as requested by the supervisor.
- Assist the admissions staff in outreach activities and high school programs.
- Serve as a trained Title IX confidential resource for the College.
- Plan, lead, and implement college-wide retention strategies such as welcome/success week, coaching/mentoring program, workshops.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations to faculty, staff and students on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties and in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
No supervision required.
Bachelor’s degree in education or related field with three years experience in an educational setting; computer skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills required. Master’s degree in counseling, education, or related field; community college experience and knowledge of Banner software strongly preferred. Experience with student retention programs and tools preferred. Must demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.