TITLE:Administrative Assistant to the Student Support Services Project Director
SUPERVISED BY:Student Support Services Project Director
DEPARTMENT:Student Support Services
CATEGORY:Full-time Support (Grant Funded)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Perform secretarial and administrative duties for the director of student support services and the program staff. Responsibilities include independent preparation of required reports, assistance with budget records, and supervision of student workers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist director in developing detailed periodic reports, compile and collect information, and enter data for compliance with Department of Education guidelines and SVCC.
- Review applications; generate and analyze SSS information sheets to aid the director in identifying students who qualify for TRIO.
- Manage application correspondence, intake process, and distribution system for new participants.
- Maintain accurate knowledge of TRIO program in order to inform and respond to questions of both internal and external constituents.
- Assist director in compiling data for the annual performance report to U.S. Department of Education.
- Attend meetings, create agendas, take notes/minutes as needed.
- Coordinate student-advisor meetings; including scheduling appointments and making reminder phone calls.
- Help TRIO personnel arrange and coordinate travel schedule, reservations, and accommodations as necessary for both staff professional development and student educational and cultural events.
- Organize and maintain process for filing departmental and student records in accordance with federal regulations and college guidelines.
- Updates and maintains TRIO student records in Program databases.
- Files and assists with monitoring expenditures of grant funds, monthly budget records, purchase order processing, and record accuracy review to meet program’s budgetary needs.
- Coordinate front-desk work-study schedule, verify accuracy of time sheets, and assign duties in accordance to departmental priorities and goals.
- Manages front desk processes, provides TRIO students with front-line information and services.
- Assists current TRIO and prospective TRIO students via phone, face-to-face, and email.
- Assists with planning, organization, and coordination for various TRIO activities and events.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of all student files.
- Updates and maintains information forms, applications, handouts and brochures.
- Manages inventory and coordinates distribution of TRIO’s electronic and textbook lending program.
- Prepare periodic large mailings for current and prospective participants to keep them accurately informed of upcoming events.
- Compose letters, reports, newsletters, and memos to maintain open communication with faculty, students, and staff.
- Maintain an inventory of departmental supplies and support materials.
- Order supplies and materials as needed.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to operate office equipment proficiently.
- Must be able to provide and understand verbal/visual orders from supervisor and to the general public.
- Must possess excellent computer skills with the ability to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to handle discreet and sensitive issues maintaining confidentiality.
- Must be able to interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
Frequent contact is made with College personnel, faculty, students, and the general public in the routine performance of duties and in providing departmental services.
Functional supervision is exercised over designated College work-study students.
Minimum Associate’s degree in Office Management or a related field. Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills. Word processing, database, and spreadsheet application skills. Experience delivering personalized services while working in a high volume environment. Preferred: Background similar to that of the Student Support Services Program participants.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.