TITLE:Instructional Staff - Adjunct Faculty
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of General Education and Transfer Programs
Dean of Business, Career, and Technical Programs
Dean of Health Professions
Program Director of Adult Education
Dean of Student Services
Director of Athletics and Fitness Center
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Provide contemporary, high-quality instruction to college students while meeting the minimal SVCC administrative requirements. Reference SVCC organizational chart for immediate supervisor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support and promote the mission and values of SVCC.
- Remain competent and current in the teaching discipline. Follow the course outline for all courses being taught.
- Produce a course syllabus, using the current syllabus template, which is distributed to students on the first day of instruction.
- Whether face-to-face, online, or in another teaching modality, provide excellent instruction and learning opportunities for students. Follow the established SVCC guidelines for online teaching.
- Meet the minimal class meeting (time) requirements for each class as established by administration.
- Regularly assess student learning in the classroom and adapt instruction accordingly.
- Upon request, participate in the college-wide academic assessment process, which includes generating and sharing classroom assessment data.
- Care for the SVCC equipment and property under his/her assigned jurisdiction.
- Report to the appropriate supervisor when equipment or facilities need attention.
- Keep accurate grade, attendance, and student progress records for each student and turn in the records to the Office of Admissions and Records as required. Student success records will be submitted at the end of the fourth, eighth, twelfth, and final week of each semester. Provide additional records as needed if administration requests.
- Notify the appropriate supervisor promptly in case regularly assigned duties cannot be performed. Adjunct instructors may be docked pay for not meeting the minimal standards of the course (e.g., missing classes, leaving class substantially early, etc.).
- While not mandatory, adjunct faculty are invited to attend Fall/Spring Kickoff events, all division/program/area meetings, faculty discussion hours (forums), committee meetings, and other meetings for which he/she has a professional responsibility.
- While office hours are not mandatory, it is recommended that adjunct faculty provide students with convenient meeting times so students can ask questions and provide feedback to the instructor.
- Cooperate with academic advisors and counseling staff on student problems associated with the instructor’s class.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the appropriate supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations to students, department personnel, institution and Board of Trustees.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students and outside organizations in providing instruction in the area of expertise.
No supervision required.
Dependent upon the position to be filled.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.