TITLE:Clinical Mental Health and Academic Counselor
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of Student Services
DEPARTMENT:Academic Advising and Counseling
CATEGORY:Full-time Faculty (12 month)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Reports to the Dean of Student Services and is responsible for implementing the mission and goals of the counseling and academic advising departments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess the mental and behavioral health status of clients; formulating short-term treatment plans.
- Provide therapeutic counseling to scheduled and on-demand clients utilizing professional counseling standards.
- Identify students with urgent mental health conditions and make appropriate referrals.
- Maintain appropriate electronic documentation of clinical counseling and academic advising services.
- Manage, develop and/or implement peer advising program or support/online outreach programming.
- Provide direct assistance to all students in the form of personal, social, educational, and career counseling.
- Provide academic advising to new and prospective students with or without an academic major; explain policies, procedures, and program requirements; assist students in selecting educational and career goals.
- Assist in developing, piloting, and implementing new academic advising and counseling protocols including the use of technology.
- Develop liaisons with faculty and staff to improve student outcomes.
- Provide current information to students on university/college articulation issues.
- Function as a collector, disseminator, and interpreter of educational and career resources.
- Participate in student-related research and evaluation of effectiveness of counseling and academic advising services.
- Serve on institutional committees related to the welfare of students.
- Assist the admissions staff in outreach activities and high school programs.
- Serve as a trained Title IX confidential resource for the College.
- Participate in professional development activities and/or continuing education training.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations to faculty, staff, and students on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work non-standard hours as required.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
No supervision required.
Master’s degree in counseling or related field required. LPC, LCPC, LMSW, LCSW, or LP credentials required with the expectation of continuing education to maintain appropriate licensure standards in the State of Illinois. Three years of responsible counseling and/or academic advising experience at a community college will be given preference. Knowledge of computer based systems (Banner preferred) and good oral and written communication skills required. Must demonstrate an understanding and commitment to the community college philosophy.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.