Campus Job Descriptions
- Vice President of Academics and Student Services
- Dean of Business, Career, and Technical Programs
- Program Director of Adult Education
- Dean of General Education and Transfer Programs
- Learning Commons Library Coordinator
- Learning Commons Tutoring Coordinator
- Dean of Health Professions
- Dean of Student Services
- Director of Athletics and Fitness Center
- Director of Enrollment Management/Registrar
- Director of Financial Assistance
- Student Support Services Project Director
- Director of Disability Support Services
- Director of the SVCC Police Academy
- Vice President of Advancement
- Executive Director of Donor Relations and Economic Development
- Vice President of Business Services (CFO)
- Dean of Information Technology
- Director of Infrastructure and Network Services
- Director of Software and User Services
- Director of Facilities
TITLE:Coordinator of Advising/Counseling
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of Student Services
CATEGORY:Full-time Faculty (12 month)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
The Coordinator of Advising/Counseling reports directly to the Dean of Student Services. The coordinator supervises the overall operations of the Counseling/Advising department at Sauk Valley Community College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist Dean of Student Services with scheduling of advising staff and administering the advising budget.
- Implement and coordinate weekly advising meetings.
- Schedule required trainings for advising/student services staff (e.g. Title IX, Sauk policies, catalog updates, etc.)
- Coordinate professional conference attendance and university articulation meetings.
- Coordinate State University Transfer Day and Private Illinois College and University Day on-campus.
- Supervise and coordinate advising office activities; assist with monitoring and requesting supplies.
- Serve on the curriculum committee.
- Coordinate with ITS concerning reporting needs for the Advising/Counseling department.
- Assist with compliance reporting including CPOS, FYE, and ELA.
- Update the advising website and other marketing materials for the department.
- Provide training and guidance for new advising staff.
- Assist with student retention initiatives.
- Assist with transfer and placement implementation, resources, and guidelines.
- Serve as a department liaison to administration, faculty, and staff at Sauk Valley Community College.
- Prepare and submit reports (monthly and annual) to the Dean of Student Services.
- Work with academics concerning scheduling and enrollment issues.
- Complete operational planning and reporting requirement for the department.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations to department personnel, institution, and Board of Trustees.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and e-mail on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
Master’s degree in counseling or related field required. Three years of responsible counseling experience at a community college will be given preference. Knowledge of computer based systems (Banner preferred) and good oral and written communication skills required. Must demonstrate an understanding and commitment to the community college philosophy.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.