TITLE:Vice President of Academics and Student Services
DEPARTMENT:Academics and Student Services
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Serves as the Chief Academic Officer in the operation of the academic services division and the Chief Student Services Officer in the student services division.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Co-chair the Assessment Committee to provide administrative leadership to the academic assessment process.
- Responsible for hiring, training, observing, and reviewing the Dean of General Education and Transfer Programs, Dean of Health Professions, Dean of Student Services, and the Dean of Business, Career, and Technical Education.
- Responsible for administration of all instructional programs and courses offered by the College.
- Supervise the preparation of the instructional schedule for each semester and submit the final schedule to enrollment management services (office of admissions and records).
- Supervise, evaluate, and make annual recommendations for the deans and make final recommendations to the College President on all faculty appointments.
- Ensure that curriculum coordination, evaluation, and revision are carried out by each of the academic divisions.
- Provide leadership to the division in developing strategies to advance student learning and staff development.
- Coordinate and plan the Perkins budget and its associated initiatives.
- Prepare an annual budget for academic services and student services and ensure the final budget is properly administered.
- Coordinate and be responsible for the preparation of all state and federal reports for the instructional area.
- Provide uniform administration of the Faculty Contract and develop uniform procedures for administering the instructional area of the College.
- Respond to concerns about instructional matters, prepare and submit final curriculum recommendations to the College President, and submit changes to the ICCB after committee approval.
- Make final recommendations for the academics and student services areas to the President on policies and procedures designed to improve the quality of the educational programs offered by the College.
- Serve as a member of the administrative team and cooperate with all members of administration in addressing issues that relate to academic services, student services and the overall mission of the College.
- Develop in consultation with the College President annual goals for academic services and student services areas prior to the beginning of each school year.
- Prepare and submit to the College President an annual report summarizing the extent of accomplishment of goals.
- Serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet.
- Develop in consultation with the deans annual goals for the departments.
- Responsible for planning, supervising, budgeting, and outcomes of the academics and student services divisions.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the President.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required..
Maintain regular contact with departments, divisions, appropriate personnel, and deans to ensure that programs in the academics and student services division function effectively. Frequent interaction and personal contact with community leaders, the general public, outside organizations, and state governing boards pertaining to the academics and student services division.
Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over the academics and student services personnel.
Master’s degree required. Evidence of support for the mission of a comprehensive community college; computer literate, with business or industrial experience preferred. Appreciation for teamwork, with excellent oral and written communication skills, knowledge/experience with alternative teaching/learning options, curriculum design, evaluation, and the ability to contribute to instructional vitality and growth required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.