TITLE:Vice President of Academics and Student Services
DEPARTMENT:Academics and Student Services
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Serves as the Chief Academic Officer in the operation of the academic services division and the Chief Student Services Officer in the student services division.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides leadership in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of the academic and student service divisions consistent with the mission, vision, values, and goals of the college.
- Has overall responsibility for program/curriculum development and preparation and evaluation of the schedule of classes.
- Maintains effective communication with all divisions of the college, ICCB, other educational institutions, and the community at large.
- Participates in recruitment and retention of full-time and part-time faculty, as well as staff supporting academics and student services; coordinates the development of annual goals; promotes the professional development of faculty and staff; and facilitates the evaluation processes of faculty and staff and the faculty promotion and tenure process.
- Participates with the president and other college leadership in planning and assessing overall college operations and initiatives.
- Works with faculty and staff in developing and assessing the annual academics and student services plans based on the college strategic plan.
- Supports accountability and institutional effectiveness by developing, implementing, and assessing procedures that support college operations and foster student success.
- Prepares an annual budget for academic and student services and ensures the final budget is properly administered.
- Participates in college development activities including service on college committees.
- Participates in professional organizations and professional development.
- Ensures that all accreditation standards pertaining to the academics and student services are in compliance.
- Serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet.
- Serves as co-chair of the Assessment Committee.
- Coordinates and plans the Perkins budget and its associated initiatives.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the President.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required..
Maintain regular contact with departments, divisions, appropriate personnel, and deans to ensure that programs in the academics and student services division function effectively. Frequent interaction and personal contact with community leaders, the general public, outside organizations, and state governing boards pertaining to the academics and student services division.
Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over the academics and student services personnel.
Master’s degree required; doctorate preferred. Evidence of support for the mission of a comprehensive community college; computer literate, with business or industrial experience preferred. Appreciation for teamwork, with excellent oral and written communication skills, knowledge/experience with alternative teaching/learning options, curriculum design, evaluation, and the ability to contribute to instructional vitality and growth required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.