TITLE:Disability Support Tutor
SUPERVISED BY:Coordinator of Disability Support
DEPARTMENT:Disability Support Office
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Assist students registered with the Disability Support Office with academic problem solving in a variety of ways.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tutor students in academic subject areas as assigned.
- Identify and refer students to appropriate supplementary materials.
- Assist students in the development of study skills and learning strategies..
- Monitor and assist students in using equipment, including the use of software and equipment aids for students with disabilities.
- Maintain current and accurate documentation regarding student contact and progress.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the Disability Support Coordinator regarding student progress.
- Make referrals to other appropriate college resources as needed.
- Attend supervision sessions, tutor meetings, and annual evaluation sessions with supervisor as requested.
- Assume all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Coordinator.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong skills in customer service and possess excellent verbal and written skills.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to provide oral/verbal responses to student questions, and assist faculty given general guidance.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on the needs of the department.
Frequent contact is made with students and faculty in relation to specific departmental duties and services.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field or an associates degree and experience which provides relevant knowledge and skills required. It is preferred that the tutor have experience in the course being tutored or a similar course; and/or experience in teaching similar curriculum. Must have the ability to quickly establish and maintain a good working relationship and rapport with staff and students.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.