Campus Job Descriptions
- Vice President of Academics and Student Services
- Dean of Business, Career, and Technical Programs
- Program Director of Adult Education
- Director of the SVCC Police Academy
- Assistant Director of the SVCC Police Academy and Security
- Dean of Transfer Programs and Academic Support Services
- Learning Commons Library Coordinator
- Learning Commons Tutoring Coordinator
- Dean of Health Professions
- Dean of Student Services
- Director of Athletics and Fitness Center
- Director of Enrollment Management/Registrar
- Director of Financial Assistance
- Student Support Services Project Director
- Director of Disability Support Services
- Vice President of Advancement
- Executive Director of Donor Relations and Economic Development
- Director of Business Training and Community Education
- Career Services and Community Education Program Coordinator
- Vice President of Business Services (CFO)
- Dean of Information Technology
- Director of Infrastructure and Network Services
- Director of Software and User Services
- Director of Facilities
- Director of Human Resources
TITLE:ECE Academic Advisor and Outreach Coordinator
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of Student Services
CATEGORY:Full-time Professional/Technical (Grant Funded)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
The ECE Academic Advisor and Outreach Coordinator will serve as a central point of support for students pursuing early childhood credentials and will work in an intrusive advising role, making intentional and regular contact with students. They will serve as an initial and ongoing point of contact for student questions and assistance. They will actively plan, organize, and lead activities that increase program enrollment, student persistence and completions. This is a grant-funded, temporary position expiring in the summer of 2024.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Navigate institution processes and resources: The ECE Academic Advisor and Outreach Coordinator will play a key role in student communication and navigation through the institutional and consortium systems including:
- Enrollment Registration
- Provide step-by-step instructions to assist students in the enrollment process.
- Send enrollment/registration dates and reminders.
- Send drop/add deadline dates to students.
- Gather data related to student enrollment, persistence, success, and completion.
- Coordinate quarterly progress reports to ICCB.
- Financial Aid/Scholarships
- Connect students to the Financial Assistance Office.
- Help students navigate the ECACE scholarship process.
- Disability Support Services
- Connect students to the office for students requesting accommodation.
- Enrollment Registration
- Intentional Tracking and Support: The ECE Academic Advisor and Outreach Coordinator will proactively monitor student progress, meet regularly with students, and provide outreach to struggling students with support including:
- Monitoring and Intervention
- Monitor student progress and intervene to provide support and shift the trajectory of their progress as needed; to the degree possible, this should be done prior to students failing classes.
- Regular Meetings
- Meet regularly with students to check-in.
- Review students’ academic plans to determine if adequate progress is being made for student progression.
- Reach out and meet with students as needed to provide support.
- Student Support
- Proactively help students access academic and other supports that will help them persist and complete.
- Grades/Academic Integrity
- Provide students with academic integrity information (e.g., plagiarism).
- Basic understanding of grade policies and processes (e.g., appeals, how to retake a course, incomplete grades, etc.).
- Monitoring and Intervention
- Academic Direction: The ECE Academic Advisor and Outreach Coordinator will ensure students have the information they need to maximize credits, enroll, and complete in an expedient fashion.
- Academic Advising
- The ECE Academic Advisor and Outreach Coordinator will provide holistic advising services to ECE students, connecting them with resources to overcome barriers to success both academically and outside of the classroom.
- AAS Transfer and CDA for Credit Policies
- Connect students to information about how the AAS transfers into a four-year institution; work with the registrar’s office and ECE program faculty to ensure a smooth AAS transfer.
- Ensure students earn credit for the CDA per consortium agreement.
- Academic Advising
- Outreach, Communications, Relationship Building: The ECE Academic Advisor and Outreach Coordinator will build relationships inside and outside the institution to ensure students have a warm handoff, smooth entry, and are seamlessly connected to other offices.
- The ECE Academic Advisor and Outreach Coordinator will network with SVCC faculty/staff as well as agency professionals and mentors at other institutions in order to best support students and to make appropriate referrals.
- Work with external navigators to ensure a warm handoff of students.
- Actively conduct targeted outreach to local ECE workforce to recruit students to complete credentials and attain an AAS degree
- Serve as a first point of contact for students interested in credentials in early childhood at SVCC.
- Respond to inquiries regarding CDA, AAS, scholarships, and programs.
- Connect prospective students to the appropriate faculty/staff regarding program specific questions.
- Engage in statewide ECACE network meetings and professional learning communities.
- Design and create communication tools for ECACE consortium student supports such as emails, SVCC social media approved marketing, fliers, webpages, and print materials.
- Assume all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to provide oral and written responses to student questions, and assist the instructor when giving general guidance.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by email and phone on a daily basis.
- Must be able to travel to Adult Education class sites to serve specific groups of students.
- Must have the ability to attend professional development meetings as well as staff meetings.
- Must have a basic working knowledge of institutions’ early childhood programs and Gateways credentials to advise students into the correct program.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested. The position interacts with outside agencies in assistance with equipment use and maintenance.
No supervision required.
Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education required; master’s preferred. Excellent communication skills and service orientation required. Basic knowledge of early childhood education programs and Gateway credentials.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.