TITLE:Academic Advisor - Sauk’s Holistic Advising and Retention Project (S.H.A.R.P.) and Transfer Coordinator
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of Student Services
CATEGORY:Full-time Professional Technical
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Provides advising, support services to S.H.A.R.P. participants, and is responsible for implementing the mission and goals of the student services and academic advising program. Leads and implements transfer resources and compliance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide academic advising to S.H.A.R. P. and assigned students with or without an academic major; explain policies, procedures, and program requirements; assist students in selecting educational and career goals. Document and maintain records of student contacts.
- Consult with S.H.A.R.P. students regarding academic problems or concerns and assist students in obtaining support to meet these specific needs.
- Provide current information to students on university/college articulation issues.
- Function as a collector, disseminator and interpreter of educational and career materials.
- Monitor S.H.A.R.P. academic and graduation progress, request and monitor participant data, provide needs assessments, and implement proactive intervention strategies.
- Plan and assist with budget expenditures related to S.H.A.R.P.
- Complete institutional planning and reporting requirements for S.H.A.R.P.
- Assist with outreach services to market and recruit S.H.A.R.P. participants.
- Participate in student-related research and evaluation of the effectiveness of S.H.A.R.P. and academic advising services.
- Provide Academic Advising to The Academy students.
- Utilize retention based resources and best practices to assist with assigned student persistence and retention.
- Serve as a trained Title IX confidential resource for the college.
- Assist with administration of assessments and S.H.A.R.P. program information at New Student Orientation.
- Lead transfer resource efforts including transfer publications/guides, website/advisor updates, IAI education/resources, and curriculum review for transfer compliance.
- Serve on institutional committees related to the welfare of students, as requested by supervisor.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations to faculty, staff, and students.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
No supervision required.
Bachelor’s degree in education or related field with three years experience in an educational setting or equivalent education and experience; computer skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills required. Master’s degree in counseling, education, or related field; community college experience and knowledge of Banner software strongly preferred. Experience with student retention programs and tools preferred. Must demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.