COVID-19 UPDATE: The ON-CAMPUS Student Services Center, including Academic Advising, is temporarily closed, effective 10/4/2020. Student Services Center staff are still available to help you remotely. Please contact Academic Advising at 815-835-6354 or log into the portal to make an appointment by telephone or video conference.
To foster collaborative student-advisor relationships centered on developing and defining personal, academic, and career goals, and introducing appropriate resources to achieve those goals.
- Provide access to professional academic advisors that demonstrate care and respect.
- Collaborate with students to create academic plans that reflect their personal, academic, and career goals.
- Provide information related to campus and community resources as appropriate to the individual student.
Click on the above link and wait for the staff member to start your meeting.
Virtual Student Services Front Desk Hours CST:
Tuesdays: 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
Wednesdays: 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
Thursdays: 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM
Our staff are here to answer general questions and to get you connected to the right person in Student Services (academic advising, financial assistance, records, registration).
- Advisors will:
- Understand and effectively communicate curriculum and program requirements.
- Assist students in selecting courses based on personal, educational, and career goals.
- Explain institutional academic policies and procedures.
- Provide information related to college and community resources.
- Be reasonably accessible to students through scheduled in person appointments, drop in, phone calls, and/or e-mails.
- Actively listen to student’s concerns and respect their decisions.
- Discuss academic performance with students, and how that performance relates to success
- Maintain confidentiality according to established standards.
- Collaborate with students in the creation and regular updating of academic plans.
- When meeting with an advisor, students should:
- Be prepared to discuss goals and educational plans.
- Be open regarding needs and goals.
- Engage in learning about campus policies, procedures, and resources.
- Ask questions to clarify any information that is not understood.
- Be open and willing to consider professional recommendations.
- Accept responsibility for personal, academic, and career decisions.
- Follow an individualized academic plan that supports the completion of academic goals.
- Review academic plan periodically and keep advisor apprised of any changes.
- Keep scheduled appointments or give ample notice to reschedule.
- Inform advisor of any academic challenges and difficulties experienced early.
- Mon - Tue
- 8:00am - 6:00pm
- Wed - Thu
- 8:00am - 4:30pm
- 8:00am - 2:00pm
- 7:00am - 6:00pm
- Tue - Thu
- 7:00am - 5:00pm
- (815) 835-6354
|Aldridge, Mandy M.||Academic Advisor/Veteran Representative/PDSO||815-835-6390|
or ext. 390
|Heck, Scott||Academic Advisor and Retention Specialist||815-835-6326|
or ext. 326
|Hooker, Jennifer J.||Mental Health and Academic Counselor/Assistant Professor I||815-835-6271|
or ext. 271
|Jacobs, Stephanie M.||Academic Advisor/Career Specialist||815-835-6384|
or ext. 384
|Kern-Lyons, Valerie L.||Professor, Counseling||815-835-6204|
or ext. 204
|Sorenson, Ashleigh M.||Academic Advisor - SHARP and Transfer Specialist||815-835-6368|
or ext. 368
|Widolff, Kristin M.||Mental Health and Academic Counselor/Assistant Professor I||815-835-6348|
or ext. 348