To foster collaborative student-advisor relationships centered on developing and defining personal, academic, and career goals, and introducing appropriate resources to achieve those goals.
- Provide access to professional academic advisors that demonstrate care and respect.
- Collaborate with students to create academic plans that reflect their personal, academic, and career goals.
- Provide information related to campus and community resources as appropriate to the individual student.
- Advisors will:
- Understand and effectively communicate curriculum and program requirements.
- Assist students in selecting courses based on personal, educational, and career goals.
- Explain institutional academic policies and procedures.
- Provide information related to college and community resources.
- Be reasonably accessible to students through scheduled in person appointments, drop in, phone calls, and/or e-mails.
- Actively listen to student’s concerns and respect their decisions.
- Discuss academic performance with students, and how that performance relates to success
- Maintain confidentiality according to established standards.
- Collaborate with students in the creation and regular updating of academic plans.
- When meeting with an advisor, students should:
- Be prepared to discuss goals and educational plans.
- Be open regarding needs and goals.
- Engage in learning about campus policies, procedures, and resources.
- Ask questions to clarify any information that is not understood.
- Be open and willing to consider professional recommendations.
- Accept responsibility for personal, academic, and career decisions.
- Follow an individualized academic plan that supports the completion of academic goals.
- Review academic plan periodically and keep advisor apprised of any changes.
- Keep scheduled appointments or give ample notice to reschedule.
- Inform advisor of any academic challenges and difficulties experienced early.
- Mon - Wed
- 8:00am - 7:00pm
- Thu - Fri
- 8:00am - 4:30pm
- Mon - Wed
- 7:00am - 7:00pm
- 7:00am - 5:00pm
- (815) 835-6354
SVCC Academic Advisors
- Mandy Aldridge
- Phone: (815) 835-6390
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Valerie Kern-Lyons
- Phone: (815) 835-6204
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Skype(TM) ID: valerie.kernlyons
- Sarah McFarlane
- Phone: (815) 835-6368
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Vance
- Phone: (815) 835-6408
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Josh West
- Phone: (815) 835-6334
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org