About The Academy
The goal of The Academy at Sauk Valley Community College is to provide elite high school seniors access to an engaging college experience built upon academic excellence and leadership principles.
The classes offered through The Academy are intended only for college credit. Awarding high school credit for any classes taken through The Academy will be at the discretion of each individual high school.
Students who wish to enroll in The Academy should be highly motivated, have the ability to work independently without direct supervision, display self-discipline and demonstrate the desire to pursue college-level coursework beyond the high school curriculum. Student should also make sure they have reliable transportation for the duration of the program.
- High School Senior (2019/2020 school year)
- Minimum high school cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 after 5th semester (confirmed by official high school transcript submission)
- Placement into SVCC ENG 101(Composition I) or completion of ENG 101
- The Academy application completed and submitted by stated deadline
- High School Counselor Recommendation Form completed and submitted (webform that is sent when the application is submitted)
- SVCC High School Student Information Form completed
Prior to Program Enrollment:
- Eligible for enrollment into College Level mathematics
Proposed Course Schedule:
Students will earn the General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) upon completion of the program. Classes will be offered as a cohort model starting in the summer 2019. Please see next page for GECC breakdown.
The Academy participants will work with an SVCC Academic Advisor to create a plan of classes tailored to meet their transfer needs based on identified major and transfer school. However, students are responsible for final course articulation.