Post 9/11 GI Bill

Post 9/11 GI Bill®- Chapter 33

** Post 9/11 GI Bill®became effective August 1, 2009. Please carefully weigh your options before choosing which benefit to use if you are eligible for more than one Federal benefit See comparison chart for more information.  If you elect to switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you are making an irrevocable election.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill®provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Click here to see the pamphlet about the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, flight training, correspondence training, licensing and national testing programs, entrepreneurship training, and tutorial assistance. All training programs must be approved for GI Bill®benefits.

This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. The Post-9/11 GI Bill®also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill®to dependents.

How Much Does VA Pay?

Eligible students will be awarded a Percentage of Maximum Benefits Payable. The following  information will be adjusted based upon the students eligibility percentage.

Some of the benefits the Post-9/11 GI Bill®will pay include (Click Here for more information):

  • Your full tuition & fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students. For those attending private or foreign schools tuition & fees are capped at the national maximum rate.
    If you are attending a private Institution of Higher Learning in AZ, MI, NH, NY, PA, SC or TX you may be eligible for a higher tuition reimbursement rate.  For those attending a more expensive private school or a public school as a non-resident out-of-state student, a program exists which may help to reimburse the difference. This program is called the “Yellow Ribbon Program”.(Click on the link for more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program, not everyone is eligible for the program).
  • A monthly housing allowance (MHA)
  • An annual books & supplies stipend
  • A one-time rural benefit payment

Beginning August 1, 2011, break (or interval pay) will no longer be payable under Post-9/11 GI Bill®except during periods your school is closed as a result of an Executive Order of the President or an emergency (such as a natural disaster or strike). For example, if your Fall term ends on December 15th and your Spring term begins January 10th, your January housing allowance will cover 15 days in December and your February housing allowance will cover 21 days in January.

This benefit is payable only for training at an Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) . If you are still in the military, you will not receive the housing allowance or books & supplies stipend. Effective October 1, 2011 if you are enrolled exclusively in online training, you may be eligible to receive the BAH, however it will be limited to 50% of the appropriate rate.

How Do I Apply?

New Applicant

You may apply by filling out VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits and submitting the completed form along with your DD-214 member 4, and a SVCC Veteran Educational Benefit Cover Sheet to the Office of Veterans Services. You must also request transcripts from all previous education/training be sent to SVCC. Contact information for transcript requests may be found here.

You may also apply online at the vets.gov website. If you choose to apply online, please print out the application and bring it along with your SVCC Veteran Educational Benefit Cover Sheet to the Office of Veterans Services. We will notify the Veterans Administration Office of your method of applying for benefits.

You may be required to provide the certifying official a copy of your certificate of eligibility before your tuition and fees will be paid using this benefit.

Transfer Applicant

You can apply by filling out VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. This form is available online at the vets.gov website. The original VA Form 22-1995 and SVCC Veteran Educational Benefit Cover Sheet must be submitted to the Office of Veterans Services.

How can I Prevent Overpayments and Penalties?

An overpayment is an incorrect benefit payment that is more than the amount to which you are entitled. You must promptly notify SVCC's Certifying Official of changes affecting your benefits, to prevent or reduce overpayments.

Carefully read all mail from the VA about the effective dates and monthly rate of your benefits. If you think you have received an incorrect check or direct deposit, contact the VA immediately. If you fail to contact the VA regarding a check or direct deposit for the wrong amount, you will be liable for repayment of any resulting overpayment.

How Can I Get More Information?

Visit the Department of Veteran Affairs Education Benefits web page or Call toll free 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).